What does the 1 SIP Trunk actually mean?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by marcusjclifford, Jul 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcusjclifford

Hi 3CX,
    As a v14 free user I have two trunks configured so if my VOIP provider has issues or maintenance the second trunk provider is used. This is seamless to my users (three members of family).

Now with v15 are you saying this is no longer available? i.e. now, with this new rule, if my VOIP provider conducts maintenance for an hour or so no-one can make external calls unless I manually reconfigure?

Thanks in advance, if I have read this correctly this is quite a big issue for me, and I would presume others.
    1 ACTIVE trunk at a time may be acceptable, but to only allow one is too much of a limitation.

Thanks
    Marcus

2. CBUTLER

I don't see what the issue is with the limitation, considering it is free. I think 3CX is being generous with the free license. If you decide you need additional features, it can always be purchased, or just stick with v14. I think the bigger question here is why is your provider conducting so much maintenance?

I don't recall my provider ever having any downtime for the 4 years that I've been with them, and if they did then it was so short that I didn't even notice. If your provider is constantly doing maintenance or there is excessive downtime that is impeding your business, I would suggest switching to a company that is more reliable rather than having to pay for two providers and a paid 3CX license.

3. marcusjclifford

The issue is that this now means I run the PBX with no redundancy for something I have no control over (my VOIP provider).
    You may well not have had any downtime from your VOIP provider over 4 years, but I would be surprised by that.

I just wish core feature sets would stop being changed.

There are too many restrictions being introduced in this new version being badged as progress. No ability to use IIS, no use of Self-Signed certificates etc...
    I'm all for introducing new features and such, but wish technology providers would stop removing existing functionality.

3CX have reversed decisions in the past, hopefully this 1 trunk restriction will be one of them.

4. CentrexJ

CentrexJ Member

No offence but hard to complain about the feature set of a free product. The way it looks the free product has been vastly improved in most regards. 8SC is a huge improvement over 2SC/4SC. One year maintenance included as well so you can do firmware upgrades and DNS name. They also made mention in the video that the lower tier SC 3CX
    will have reduced pricing. Put both options on the table and things look much better for small businesses for their options. As for NGINX, when you see how fast 3CX Management Console runs you will be amazed. Far better performance than IIS or Abyss.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Sopock

Sopock Member

Reliance on the Public Internet?

there might be confusion over terminology :?:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. marcusjclifford

With the release of SP2 I decided to revisit 3CX to see how it works now.
    Unfortunately the 1 Trunk / VOIP Provider limitation remains, so it is still not usable for me beyond a demo / proof of concept.

Please please 3CX relax this limitation... Even if only one can be up at a time that may be usable, but I can't even enter a second trunk's information as the OK button has a text popup saying feature not available.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If it causes that much of a problem, then the solution is very simple, just stick with version 14 for the time being.

8. CBUTLER

I think the free version provides more than enough features for what the intended use of the free version is for. As leejor mentioned, stick with v14 or you can pay a few dollars and purchase the commercial version. You're under no obligation to use their free version...

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would hope that at some point in the future, 3CX will reconsider the use of a DEMO licence type arrangement in version 15. Being unable to restore a working configuration (more than one trunk) of an older 3CX version, and doing some testing/tweaking, before committing to version 15, is somewhat limiting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.