what does this log mean? - "Failed to resolve external

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by vanDivX, Feb 22, 2007.

1. vanDivX

when I installed the pbx, I noticed it had some failed attempts resolving my external IP but after several tries it always managed to come up with it, today I found in the log many rows of the same thing like the following:

---------------
    08:02:00.859 CallMgr::failResolveExtIp: Failed to resolve external IP!
    08:02:00.859 StunClient::process: STUN failed to resolve external IP using server 80.239.235.209
    08:01:57.843 StunClient::process: Send initial STUN request to 80.239.235.209
    08:01:57.750 StunClient::process: STUN failed to resolve external IP using server 80.239.235.209
    08:01:54.750 StunClient::process: Send initial STUN request to 80.239.235.209
    08:01:54.656 StunClient::process: STUN failed to resolve external IP using server 80.239.235.209
    08:01:51.640 StunClient::process: Send initial STUN request to 80.239.235.209
    08:01:51.531 StunClient::process: STUN failed to resolve external IP using server 80.239.235.209
    08:01:48.515 StunClient::process: Send initial STUN request to 80.239.235.209
    ------------------

if the IP can't be resolved, does that mean my calling out via some Voip provider wouldn't work? what should I do to help improve this 'resolving' efforts? I do have dynamic IP but it is the same IP for over a year now, it is static in practice, I never had to get DynDNS service yet for it

vanDivX

2. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Upcoming version has Advanced options where you can specify STUN server address, and options to specify external (externally visible) address for registering against VoIP providers. Until that you can not do anything, only ask our suuport to fix STUN server's address (I will do it now).
    Without resolved external address some VoIP provider still will work, but some - will not.

3. vanDivX

thx for reply

vanDivX

4. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Another reason is possible: you're probably behind symmetric NAT or something like this, that prohibits static addr:port mapping. In this case try to setup your firewall to allow passing port 5060 in and out.

5. vanDivX

I am behind WRT54GL router flashed with DD WRT firmware (Voip flavour) and it is PPoE DSL connection

I forwarded port 5060 (UDP) to the LAN IP of the computer that 3CX is installed on, the IP of that computer is static, don't know off hand if there is any setting for 'in and out', I think there is no choice like that available to choose forwarding direction if I understand what you are saying unless it is implicit in the forwarding entries for single port fowarding (ie. not a port range forwarding) - first you give your name to what you are forwarding first, then enter the port value 'From Port' , IP of the machine and then 'To Port' and you enter the same port in both entries (5060 in this case)

I have never understood exactly why there are two port entries in section where you are not forwarding a range of ports, this router/firmware has separate section for forwarding range of ports

there is no firewall on the PC itself, also initially it worked, sometimes it was trying like three times and then it managed to resolve the IP but a day later it seems like it takes many more attempts and perhaps can't resolve at all...

I shout it down this last night and will boot the PC with the PBX again tonight and check what it does

BTW I didn't monitor the IP resolving too much and I installed Gizmo phone which installed Bonjour and maybe that failed resolving might be the result of that service (Bonjour) but that is just guessing on my part, I have only sketchy understanding of these things

vanDivX