What is recommended Frequency for updating 3CX server?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by guru2gr8, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guru2gr8

I have one question about 3CX pbx server running on cloud virtual machine on Debian operating system. How frequently we have to update our system (include operating system & 3CX package) (i.e weekly, bi weekly, monthly, annually or not at all). What is 3cx expert recommended frequency? I made this cron job so that my system update monthly basis. Is it good or I have to change frequency?

“0 0 1 * * sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade”

If anybody have better suggestion about updating procedure & frequency please guide us.

thanks

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @guru2gr8

Please note the operating system update interval is up to the system administrator. We always recommend having the system up to date but you should schedule it depending on your needs and requirements. Of course it also depends on how often updates are released for the OS you are using and their importance.

3. jimbo59

jimbo59 Member

I run it once a month or so. Debian is good about not pushing out things that will break the machine, unlike Microsoft.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    apostolis_3CX likes this.
  4. AlexDBarrett

Harsh but true.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. guru2gr8

Thanks for every one for guiding me. So as per advice I do not need to run any cron command. I am going to delete my this command from my system

“0 0 1 * * sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade”

I want to make my TO-DO list for maintain my 3cx server so for guidance I try to compile all the task I have to do/repeat . So for clarification

I have to run these two commands only one time

“sudo apt-get install unattended-upgrades”

“sudo dpkg-reconfigure unattended-upgrades”

Then my machines O/S security wise remain upto date all time & I need to update 3cx software through 3cx dashboard occasionally or till system pop up notification about 3cx update available.

One thing more about Linux machine reboot. Is it better to reboot virtual machine occasionally or not? I know at the time of rebooting all phone system will down & will recover after re-registration of extensions & sip trunks. But in night it not much affected to us.

Through cron command

“0 0 1 * * sudo reboot”

Is Reboot in a month helpful somewhere or useless for this purpose. In Linux many places it is written reboot of machine helpful for machine resources.

6. guru2gr8

Thanks frankG,

When I give this command “editor /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades” system show me

APT:periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";

APT:periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";

After that I gave “editor /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades”

The system show me many lines out of which one for our interest show me

//Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot "false";

As to make it reboot after each change I have to change this false to true

//Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot "true";

Is I have to remove these “//” two back slash from front also or not

So my line should see like

//Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot "true";
    Or

Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot "true";

Sorry I am newbie for linux & 3cx so each day I am learning, thanks

UPDATED:
    I just try to edit file 50unattended-upgrades. The system not allow me to edit. It show me permission denied. i am controlling my VM through SSH window

#6 guru2gr8, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.