What is the minimum hardware needed for...

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Jamie Wright, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Wright

Im new to 3cx so be gentle.
    I am wanting to host my own 3cx server in house because for the size of my office the full voip systems are far to costly.
    I am wanting to setup 6 handsets plus a further 2 to be used as internal only handsets. I will be using a couple of different yealink models. I think the free version of 3cx should do me fine but an upgrade is possible in the future to the standard edition for the fax to email feature.
    What sort of hardware will i need for this? Im told by an official 3cx partner in my local area that it may be possible to run it from a Rasperry pi 3? He used them for remote offices as a bridge but he reckons it might be possible.
    Has anyone had any experience running the host system from a Raspberry pi 3? Will it work?
    If it won't then what is the minimum hardware to run a system this size? I have had a look at a few basic i3 nucs.
    Any input is much appreciated because as i say i am new to 3cx

2. sector-9

No experience of the Pi, but pretty much any PC will run 3CX well enough for your usage. I've got six handsets and 3CX running on an old AMD E350 processor which also has several other things running - it's been fine so far but I'm a very light user anyway and only make/receive a few calls per month (it's more of an interest thing than a need)

Ryan Parsons likes this.
  3. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

Run from that partner. The Pi3 is perfectly fine for the SBC, but 3CX will not run on it without major effort and it would be completely unsupported.

This guide will point you in the right direction for an inexpensive 3CX server.

https://www.3cx.com/phone-system/pbx-appliance/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Bret Gordon

Or put it in a VPS. I have it with about the same number of users in a Digital Ocean droplet with 2GB RAM for $20/month. That plus the DID and per minute monthly costs are minimal compared to any PSTN solution.

5. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Please find the recommended hardware specifications in this guide
    You can also see some tested devices in this guide
    I would recommend getting a device that can accommodate any expansion requirements you may have in the future

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.