What is the purpose of disabling chat logs if...

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by CBUTLER, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBUTLER

What is the purpose of disabling chat logs if you can simply re-enable the logs and see all the prior chats?

Shouldn't disabling the chat logs stop 3CX from recording all the chats?

Example: I purged all chats so there are 0 messages and then I disabled chat logs. Several days later I log into 3CX, chat logs still are showing disabled, but when I enable the chat logs I now can see a few thousand chat message that occurred while the logs were "disabled".

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @CBUTLER

This is done for legal purposes. In different countries there are different laws regarding this and the admin must acknowledge this before enabling this feature. The chat messages are logged regardless until you purge them.

3. CBUTLER

If you were an attorney you would know that you're statement is incorrect. You can't just assume that because "in different counties there are different laws" for how to capture IMs you decide to records all chats and don't allow an administrator to completely stop recording chats. Laws differ by country and regulations differ by industry. Do you understand the illegality of continuing to capture IM logs when the administrator has told your software to disable this feature. Do you understand the what would happen if records were subpoenaed and it was found out that chat communication was logged (even though the chat logs feature was set to disable) without discretion of the users.

This is extremely simple and I can't believe you don't understand this:

Enabled: Give (someone or something) the authority or means to do something. In other words, give 3CX the ability to log chats.
    Disabled: To make legally incapable. In other words, deny 3CX the ability to log chats.

According to your software, Enabled is the same as Disabled! You might as well not even have the option to set the chat logs to disabled, because according to you Disabled=Enabled.

I hope you have a good insurance policy, your going to need it because of this willful neglect which you admitted to...

4. agp

agp 3CX Team

When you click to enable Chat Logs it says:

Enabling the chat log feature will show the administrator the content of all chat messages in the company.

It doesn't say that it will enable or disable the actual logging. You enable/disable the option to SEE them :)

Also you are given the option to purge them at any given time.

5. CBUTLER

I understand that but YiannisH_3CX said this is done for legal purposes, which is not correct because it is illegal in many jurisdictions to log without consent, regardless of if the logs are being viewed or not. Statutes that govern this apply to the logging of the communication, not the actual viewing. This enable/disable feature is controlling the viewing of the logs, not the actual recording, which is backwards. If chat logs are disabled is should not log, plain and simple. You are technically still logging chats in the background even when this feature is disabled, which would be against the law in some jurisdictions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.