• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

What OS do u recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwelle

Reaction score
Hi there..

What os do u recommend for 3cx phone system? I use it on Win XP + SP3, but from time to time the computer gets stuck and i can not reboot it.. I have to switch it off and back on.. The problem is that after lets say a week or so, i cant hear anyone over my voip phones.. So i have to reboot the 3cx server computer.. After that everything worx as a charm.. I bet that the problem is in the OS itself..

So , should i go with Win 2003, 2008 or Windows 7
Thnx in advance..

I would go with a OS that is server based. Win 2000 or to 2008. These OS's are meant to be on for a long time without the problem of not being rebooted. I use 2008 and have not rebooted in 8 months.

Yes i agree, server based OS are always build to be stronger and are low on maintenance requirements. Xp is made for everyday use.

I've had an Atom based system running XP Pro w/SP3 for 6 months (at the longest) with no problem. Make sure that any automatic updates are disabled. I went in after the 6 months to download and install the Microsoft updates and then had to reboot.

You think that the Automatic update is the problem?

Thank you..

It may or may not be. Some people leave automatic update on by default and some updates can require a reboot. If a system is running smoothly then you want to be in control of anything that could "upset" the system. It's probably best to go in every month or so and do some maintenance on an XP system anyway. I wanted to see how long mine would run without a problem and it could have gone longer but I wanted to get any needed updates installed. Everyone's PC/software combo is different so what runs without a hitch on one computer may not run as smoothly on another. I can just tell you my experience with XP Pro, on my particular system. I'm sure that a server operating system will be more stable in the long run but in many cases it's only as stable as the hardware it is running on. For a mission critical installation where money is no object, then you can put in a rock solid system. For the same (or less) money you could probably buy a second system (non server) as a backup.

We run XP SP2 for months at a time without rebooting on multiple boxes. Sounds like you have something installed causing a memory leak.

For those running on XP Pro, which Web server did you choose? I've recently started evaluating the 3CX Demo and loaded it on a box with fresh install of 64-bit Vista SP1, 1G RAM and using IIS. So far I've run into a access denied issue on a phone config file, but I'm still learning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad.k
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.