What trunk is the call coming in on?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by worcester1, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worcester1

Hi All

I am new to 3CX and just got our demo system going - what i cant work out is if you have say 4 trunks for different departments etc - how do you detect which trunk an incoming call is coming in on?

Be really interested to know any suggestions

Many Thanks
    Richard

2. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

Are you using analog trunks or SIP trunks? The reason I ask is you dont really specify if this is with a VoIP gatewy utilizing analog lines or SIP trunks. Sounds like analog though I dont want to assume, however you can look at the ports and trunks tab when teh call is coming in and determine what trunk the call is coming in on and point that call where you want it to go. ring group, digital receptionist etc....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. worcester1

Hi - and thanks for the reply

I am intending to use 3 sip trunks with 3 separate numbers.
    But one number is for a sub company - so we wish to answer in a different name.

Hope that makes sense- any suggestions would be great.

Best
    Richard

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As long as your VoIP provider sends the called number in the SIP header, then you should be able to set it up as you would DID's.

You then have to decide how you want people to identify the calls. You could send them to specific extensions (keys on a set), or they could pass through a ring group or queue and pick up a name as a prefix to the name/number.

5. tonyb

if you have 3 separate trunks with 3 different numbers, the calls will come in on the trunk that the number is assigned to. It is up to you on where you route the call once it comes in on the specific trunk. As leejor stated, you can send them to specific extensions (keys on a set), or they could pass through a ring group or queue and pick up a name as a prefix to the name/number.

6. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

As both Leeor and tony earlier stated simply go to trunks and direct where you want that call to ring either a ring group, or to a particular extension. You are able to name the ring groups, so that when a call comes in on the DID for the subcompany you will be able to identify the call and what number is being dialed allowing you to answer and disposition the call properly,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. worcester1

Thanks for the responses - really helpful
    With ring groups i have got it doing just what i wanted now. ;)

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.