When to use SIP Trunk or Pstn gateway setup

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Macaully, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macaully

I have been playing with 3CX for almost a year now and I still am unable to understand this issue. There are many third party providers that sell both gsm and analog gateway solutions that can work with this platform. Many times when these devices land on my desk I conclude that for a analog gateway it will work using the pstn setting. If I am lucky, it will register but 3cx will not proceed "no routes available".

After a while when i do more research most of these companies will instruct that you set it up as a voip trunk,send all calls its way and do the logic in their web interface which is mostly confusing to me with their manual.

My question is in situations like this when does one identify what setup to use for a third party unit. I tried a grandstream analog gateway and i was able to have to running using the pstn setup in no time.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There are a number of differences between a VoIP trunk and a gateway. The "big" one is that with a VoIP trunk/Provider (with the exception of a Bridge trunk, in some configurations) 3CX registers with them. In the case of a gateway, it registers with 3CX, in the same manner as a VoIP set, or ATA. For a Gateway, unlike an ATA or set, registration is not quite enough, you still need to tell 3CX where to send INVITES.

If you are dealing with an unsupported gateway...it may end up being trial and error. There may be something generic that will work, but it may all be a manual configuration job at the gateway end. Post the make/model of gateway and someone else may have had a crack it it and can offer some help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.