Where are the manuals?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by parkerbyron, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parkerbyron

I was curious if anyone could tell me where I can find the system administrator manual for v12 SP3? I've looked through the 'docs and FAQ' and although it covers many things it lacks the details I want on most subjects. I assume there is a manual that covers each feature, how it works and how to set it up somewhere? With the service pack releases coming out so quickly I'm having a hard time keeping up with the new features, what changes were made, what new buttons are available (which ones are gone), how those work, etc... for instance I'm currently trying to find out what happens when you enable 'holiday hours'... I can't find anything describing what this does - does it act like an automated attendant? Is it just a message?? Does it override everything??? I could go on but I think you get the idea... thanks!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

here is a link to it...

http://www.3cx.com/manual/3CXPhoneSystemManual12.pdf

3. parkerbyron

Well, yes that is a manual but it is incomplete... at a glance I can already say it contains no information about 'holidays' and a quick search reveals that it is missing many of the details I'm looking for and I'd say it hasn't been updated after any of the service packs. It doesn't appear that there is a document or web page that contains a reasonably comprehensive and current administrators guide that I can find... I have to cobble things together. I like the 3CX software very much but the documentation seems to be quite lacking. I'm grateful this forum is here which certainly helps but I think there is a need for a thorough, up-to-date, administrators guide.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Kerry Garrison has written comprehensive manuals for past versions, not sure if something for version 12 is out yet.

http://www.amazon.ca/3cx-Version-11-Kerry-Garrison/dp/0983163928/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387391211&sr=1-3

I'm not sure if that is the way you want to go.

5. tlsallada

I too find the 'manual' to be very lacking in detail. I'm used to companies like Mitel, Inter-Tel etc providing details about each aspect of their systems - sometimes TOO MUCH detail!! The documentation on most of 3CX is sketchy at best and I've learned more by experimenting than by reading their 'manual'.
    You shouldn't have to buy a book written by a third party to install and set up any phone system.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The assumption is probably that you have some prior knowledge of PBX's/VoIP, or even previous 3CX versions, given that a lot of settings are self explanatory. Writing a comprehensive user manual on any product can be costly and time consuming, and this cost has to be passed onto all customers, whether you'll use it, or not.

That is my take on it, 3CX would have to comment on how they decided to write the current manual.

7. JonnyM

If I were cynical I would suggest that the manuals and documentation is of such a poor quality to encourage people to take out support contracts that would otherwise be unnecessary.

But I'm not a cynic so I won't suggest that.

8. tlsallada

I ditto JonnyM. . . . . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.