Where can I set DNS TTL of 3CX FQDN?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by SECOIT GmbH, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SECOIT GmbH

Hi All,

One of my customers wants to use 3CX PBX but at this point in time they don't have a fixed IP address.

I'm using a 3CX FQDN in the format "[customer].3cx.de".
    The problem is that this A record for the 3CX FQDN has a TTL of 6 hours. For a dynamic IP address it should be rather 1 minute so 6 hours is by far too long for a dynamic IP address. 6 hours DNS TTL means a huge downtime for some functionality every time the IP address changes.
    Is there some place where I (or someone from 3CX) can set this?

Thanks
    Michael

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jed

jed New Member

Hi Michael

The Enterprise version should have only 2 min TTL.

/Jesper

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SECOIT GmbH

Hi Jesper,

Thank you for your reply. Does that means Std/Pro can't use a dynamic IP address?
    6 hrs for dynamic IP is completely impractical dynamic IP addresses.

Sounds like I'll have to use a Dynamic DNS service and use an own FQDN which would be unfortunate since it is quite comfortable to use a 3CX FQDN (don't have to worry about certificates for example).

Is anybody reading this thread successfully using 3CX Std/Pro with a dynamic IP address?

Thanks,
    Michael

4. jed

jed New Member

Hi Michael

I think the 6 Hour TTL is a political decision, to give some benefit to use the Enterprise version.

That said, we have a costumer running PRO and Dynamic IP and the "failover" happens within 20 Min. on this installation using 3CX FQDN.

/Jesper

5. SECOIT GmbH

Hi Jesper,

20 Minutes? That means your customer is either extremely lucky or their DNS server is ignoring the TTL and keeps querying the authorative DNS server even the TTL has not expired yet. :)
    I can easily manipulate my customer's DNS server but for any remote workers or when people are travelling (using hotel internet for example) that's out of my influence.

Well, guess I will need to use a Dynamic DNS service then and issue a own certificate. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.