Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Which BRI Gateway would you recommended?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ziptalk, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziptalk

ziptalk New Member

Hi,

I have installed 3CX on our network, and have a spare ISDN 2e available for testing. We have had various experiences with VOIP, initially with a hosted-VOIP solution - but we realised that despite an SDSL line, QOS-enabled Cisco switch and the like, VOIP seemed inherently flakey from a external call point-of-view and was unacceptable with our customers. (We're an IT Support company). We brought our PBX inhouse with a Nortel BCM-50, and used standard ISDN 2e to break-out to the PSTN of which ISDN proves solid as a rock both in terms of reliability and quality. Therefore VOIP on the LAN was fine, but breaking-out to PSTN for external calls was the only acceptable configuration for it. What frustrates me with the Nortel, and the Avaya-kit alike is their proprietrary nature, licensing costs etc, therefore I have been tasked with investigating an open-source solution with the view to have a cost-effective solution both in-house and ultimately one we can package and supply to our existing customers.

I want to replicate our current setup with the 3CX, i.e. have PSTN via ISDN 2e. I have opted for the 3CX, primarily because it's Windows-based and that's where our strengths lie, the Linux-based Asterisks/Trixbox would have involved an investment in time that we do not have at present.

Having looked at the supported digital gateways for the BRI interface, it seems that the MediaTrix, Patton and the Vegastream seem to be the likely options. The MediaTrix seems incredibly expensive, the Vegastream is more reliably priced.

• Has anyone setup their 3CX in such a configuration with ISDN 2e?,
      and if so which Gateway have you used and/or which would you recommend ?
      Also is there any reputable places to buy this hardware at reasonable prices ?

Thanks in advance,

Lewis

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cs

cs

we are using the pattons - great devices

how many BRIs (internal/external) do you need?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ziptalk

ziptalk New Member

Hi CS,

Thanks for the prompt reply, in answer to your question I only need a single BRI interface, as this setup is for testing purposes so i can demo it to the business as a working solution.

The Vegastream Vega 50 Europa Gateway 2 x BRI 4 Channels is the device I was considering at £499 ex VAT.
    http://www.voipon.co.uk/vegastream-vega-50-europa-gateway-2-x-bri-4-channels-p-410.html

However I have just had a look at the Patton, they're a lot cheaper (I like that), and this one is £195 and would suit my purposes.
    http://www.voipon.co.uk/patton-inalp-gateways-patton-isdn-bri-gateways-c-3_122_123.html

Lewis

4. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

Hi Lewis,

Drop me an email on Monday, as I can probably beat VoIPon's prices on Patton stuff as we're a UK reseller (and for Snom/3CX as well).

Cheers,
    Mike.
    michael.knowles@pentangle.co.uk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.