• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Which OS for 3CX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jes P

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to set up a 3CX PBX with my providers SIP Trunk, so I'm wondering, which Windows OS gives the best/most stable performance? Is it stable at all? How many calls can it handle, and how many resources does x amount of calls require?

Best Regards
Jes P

You will not find that answers anywhere. However, the more powerful CPU(s) and more RAM you have, the better.
Consider server OS, not desktop one.

Regards

Hi,

I asked because I'm gonna run it on the OS gives the best perfomance and the best stability, but apparently no one knows, So I'll probably go with a Server 2008 R2, if it works on that..

Definitely works, I would suggest 2008 Foundation (if 1 CPU used), it is cheaper than Standard. You need only .NET 4 and IIS to install.

Lowest Xeon CPU is doing fine with 64+ simultaneous calls (4+ GB RAM).
For smaller configurations even Atom is fine.

Regards

eagle2 said:
Definitely works, I would suggest 2008 Foundation (if 1 CPU used), it is cheaper than Standard. You need only .NET 4 and IIS to install.

Lowest Xeon CPU is doing fine with 64+ simultaneous calls (4+ GB RAM).
For smaller configurations even Atom is fine.

Regards

I don't know which machine it's gonna run on yet, I'm testing it on a Laptop with Windows 7 Home Edition at the moment, but with a maximum of 5 Phones.

We're planning to use this system (I'm studying Techinal Supporter at a Danish VOIP Provider), because some of our customers asked about it.

This is OK for your needs. Not sure about Win 7 Home. Probably you will need to use Abyss (delivered with 3CX) instead of IIS.
Regards

eagle2 said:
This is OK for your needs. Not sure about Win 7 Home. Probably you will need to use Abyss (delivered with 3CX) instead of IIS.
Regards

So what is the difference between Abyss and IIS?

May be stability and size. For small implementations Abyss is fine, except annoying reboot at 4 a.m.
I prefer using IIS when possible.

Regards

Our 3CX runs on Windows 7 Pro (using IIS for WEB). It is a white box Supermicro system w/Intel Xeon e31230 8GB RAM, 2 500GB HDDs and 2 Integrated Intel GB NICs. The entire system, including case, power supply and HDDs was less than $700.00. It's PLENTY of power for 16SC and rarely exceeds more than 10% CPU load.

New Win2008R2 and a 8 core AMD with 16G ram here and the computer hits 2% with 100 calls...

Let's not make this a "Who get the best server" competetion :)

So I can see that I don't need incredible specs for this, but it would be best to get a Server 08 :)

I'll try that later this week and I will update this thread.

On smaller installs you are fine with Win 7 anything over a 32 you may want to look at server OS but you could still use 7.

Steer clear of any hom4e editions as they are not supported and I would also avoid XP as it is a end of life OS.

Ian

If for a smaller setup a desktop OS will work fine, what type of call capacity do you expect?

Any Windows OS is at least as stable as any other OS. It's the hardware that is not stable and in lots of cases the users of the system.

I currently run my 3CX on Windows Home Server 2011 which is based on Windows 2008. I've got it in the US for less than US$50 at NewEgg.com last summer. This OS runs on my Intel 64bit Core 2 Duo E7500 processor with 4GB of RAM

But previously I run it on Windows Home Server V1 and Windows 2003. These instalations were on an old Pentium 4 2GHz computer with 2GB of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniel Acosta
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.