which trunk is used on forwarded calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Kael, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kael

For each Extension I can set a forward rule. If I do not answer calls within: 20 sec then I forward to mobile.
    But which trunk and Outbound rules are used for doing this forward call? And which CallerID is send along? The Trunk CID or Extension CID? From which extension?
    I understood that to be able send the original caller ID along with the forward call that I need a provider that support this function. I noticed that the Trunk has several Outbound Parameters that can be set to "OriginatorCallerID" but I think that is all useless unless the providers supports the function, right?

Also this 20 sec answer time: this Extension setting is in the Internal calls section, but I suppose it is also used for the External calls? There is says 'after timeout....' so I think this 'timeout' means also this 20 sec from Int. Calls, right?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: whick is used on forwarded calls

Its a difficult question to answer because much depends on your voip provider. Timeouts often are measured from the end device of the call (somewhere on the public telephone network) CallerID information likewise is partially dependent on your voip provider and how they use the various fields.

If you could lay out some usecases of what you want to happen, It would be a lot easier to suggest where changes could be made to accomplish it

3. Kael

I edited some typo's in the original post.
    Helia, I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough; the timeout and forward rules I'm talking about are these you can enter for each Extension on tab Forwarding Rules.
    So for example I have 'not anwer calls within 20 seconds' then Forward to Mobile.
    I like to find out how this forward call is done? Are the standard Outbound Rules applicable? Just like you would the make call yourself?
    How can I set the callerID in case of a forwarded call? Can the Original callerID be preserved?

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

The standard outbound rules that you created are used on forwards to external numbers. I call comes in using the inbound rules whereupon it is directed to the extension or other endpoint you set and then the rules for that endpoint come into play. If an extension is the destination and the rule indicates that if not answered within X, then forward to external number, then it is treated as a new call as if you dialed it from the extension and it will use the outbound rules.

As far as delivering the original CID of the caller, that depends on the provider that is being used on the call forward. If analog (PSTN), then most likely the CID will be that of the line or account upon which the call was sent. If SIP, then it is up to the provider as some will allow it whereas others will not. If they allow it, then they may be able to tell you which of the outbound parameters they use to determine CID and you can manipulate accordingly. If they can't, then you may need to experiment some. It is not that you set the CID per se, but rather that you allow the system to pass the original CID.

5. Kael

Ineblett; thanks for clearing this out how the foward calls works.

About the CallerID, the two SIP trunks I'm using seems to make a difference in treating the callerID depending which setting I use in 3CX. A quick test for outgoind calls (not fowarded)
    If I enter a CID in the Extension then it shows up fine in callee's display.
    If I enter a CID in the Trunk Caller ID tab (firstline) and leave the Extension' CID blank, it also works.
    If I leave the CID empty in the Extension and alos in the first line Trunk Caller ID tab, and I use a Outbound Caller ID pattern in the Trunk itself, like (.*) > xxxxxxxxx, then it this number (xxxxxxxxx) doesn't show on the callee's display. I see then the trunk ID. However the number (xxxxxxxxx) is visible in call log I have in the portal of 1 trunk provider.
    I'm doing something wrong in the 3CX settings?

6. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

It is not so much that you are doing something wrong. It is a question of figuring out what you want and what the provider needs/wants/expects/will allow and then configuring the outbound parameters in the SIP Trunk provider section to meet that requirement. Not all providers may use the same headers by which to extract the CID.

You can try setting:

Remote Party ID - Calling Party : Display Name
    Remote Party ID - Calling Party : User Part

All to OriginatorCallerID original callerID will be sent.

Just remember what the original setting were so you can regress to square 1 if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.