White List vs Black List

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Bob Denny, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Denny

Bob Denny New Member

Our switch is publicly visible as we call in from the road via 4G/5G mobile data (Bria SIP phones), public WiFI (yes we know the risks) etc. Meanwhile the switch busters are constantly trying to break in, resulting in a steady stream of auth and request caused blacklisting. I looked in the manual but it is unclear how the white list vs black list rules are applied. Suppose I blocked everything 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 with a blacklist entry, then I add white list entries for our office net and Verizon mobile data. Before I waste my time and cause problems here in the office, can someone explain how the rules are applied. Do white lists override black lists or ???

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm not certain that doing blanket blacklist on 3CX is the best option, or that the whitelist will override (never tried it). Generally blocking everything, BUT... is best done on a router or firewall.

3. Bob Denny

Bob Denny New Member

I would except the phone switch is running on Google Cloud. I have no control over any firewall etc.

4. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

5. Bob Denny

Bob Denny New Member

6. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

yes, but in your setup do not use 3CX to do this job of filtering. It will consume to much power.
    Use the default OS firewalls (Windows Firewall or Linux IPtables) to do the job.

To your question, white list is over blacklist.
    If set
    Block: 0.0.0.0/0
    White: 1.2.3.4/32

Only 1.2.3.4/32 will be allowed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dredd0606

If you are running on Google Cloud, they have very robust firewall tools that you can customize to your hearts content, using the link you provided. They do not run on the VM, but rather as part of your virtual network. I greatly prefer offloading the firewall to google than using iptables on the pbx.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Bob Denny

Bob Denny New Member

Ah! I will look. I have been ultra busy. Right now I only have 28 blacklists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.