Why Call control API is called API ?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Maciej Cygan, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maciej Cygan

Hello there,

I know it may be little random by why Call Control 'API' is actually called an API when in fact its not an API but SDK?

API is an interface that allows software programs to interact with each other (can be different programming languages) whereas a SDK is a set of tools that can be used to develop software applications targeting a specific platform (and this is what the Call Control library provides). Its written in C# and can only be used by C#(or relative). Moreover, it has a very big limitation that never really occurs in traditional API's and that is applications interacting with Call Control can only by run on localhost (unless custom proxy is written)

It really makes me wonder why you are calling this an API and not SDK?

2. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Not sure exactly why we need to go down this route.. But anyway.. It is an API. It is not an SDK. But it makes no difference to you because whatever you want to call it, it works and it works as we document it should work. There is no other way.

Example: Windows SDK's are used to develop against Windows API.
    3CX does not have an SDK (which essentially is a helper for a developer with a set of tools that allow him to easily build an app that integrates with the API) because we went down the documentation route.

API is an interface that allows software programs to interact with each other, (Which is exactly what this does) whereas a SDK is a set of tools that can be used to develop software applications targeting a specific platform. (Which is exactly what it does NOT provide).

Look at it this way - There are the 3CX core components example 3cxcomcpp2 which is the object model library and this object model has an API which exposes functions you can call. This will allow "Software programs to interact with the applications object model core".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    craigreilly likes this.
  3. DSXDATA

DSXDATA New Member

Nice explanation ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 DSXDATA, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  4. Maciej Cygan

Thanks nicky for the explaination. They way i saw it was slightly different but i do now see your point of view. As i said it was slightly random question and just wanted to verify.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.