Why enter EXT and PIN for Voicemail?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by leejor, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've just begun using the PBX and I'm curious as to why , when dialling 999 to get voice mail from your own line, are you required to enter your extension number and PIN? I could see the PIN request being an option for security reasons, say, to prevent someone coming into my office and trying to listen to my voice mails. However the PBX should know which extension you are calling from and shouldn't require you to have to enter your number. Most voice mail systems I'm familiar with, only ask for your number/extension if you are calling in from an outside line, not from your own internal line. Does anyone else find this odd, or is there a work around that I'm missing.
    Thanks, Lee

2. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

PBX does know which extension you're calling from, but you may want to listen vmails for another ext, for example. So you will dial that ext. number and its PIN.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BJReplay

BJReplay New Member

But most PBXs allow you to bypass the enter extension (usually by hitting #), prompting just for the PIN.

4. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Yes, we're also considering it to implement soon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. BJReplay

BJReplay New Member

Cool 8)

6. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Public Mantis (bug tracking and feature requests tracking system) will be available soon. Look for announces.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I can understand that there may be the rare occasion (someone is sick, quits or is fired) that you have to "pick-up" someone else's voice mail for them but generally people only retrieve VM from their own line. I work on Nortel DMS class 5 switches providing Centrex and POTS and there has never been a request to gain access to someone else's mailbox, it would be like going into someone's office and opening the mail on their desk. In fact the only way for someone to do this would be to dial the persons extension and then use the options to break through the outgoing message and do a retrieve. Since the majority of people keep their PIN numbers to themselves i would feel safe in saying that 99.99% of people don't go into others voice mail boxes.

It would be nice, if, when dialling 999, it would just ask for the PIN (a feature that could be disabled if security wasn't a concern), anticipating that you to want to listen to your own messages and not snoop on your co-workers. I guess this should be in the "feature request "section , I just wasn't sure if there was a current work-around.

8. aguilar

aguilar New Member

yes you are right, that is the main rason, and i guess that would be the default, maybe could have another option for hear others mailbox

regards

9. Pentangle

Pentangle Member

Maybe in your company....

...but I worked for Nortel for 9 years, believe me there IS a requirement - it just depends on the company culture and the type of department.

e.g. call centres, with individual and shared mailboxes. Manager & Secretary setups. etc.

Still, the Meridian-esque hash for current extension works for me :p

10. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

2 clients I just installed have one person recording everyone's VM greeting and also retrieving VM of the attorneys (lazy attorneys). Now they can do this at their own desk easily.

It would be nice to have the option to not enter your own extension.

Please enter your pin or press # for another mailbox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.