Why is Sangoma no longer supported?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by njp, Dec 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njp

njp

Hello,

We are about to attempt a provisional upgrade to the new 3CX based Elastix 5.0 on our PBX. We currently have a Sangoma A200 card installed and previously had Elastix 4.0. All phones are the Yealink T42G

Is there any specific reason as to why Sangoma is no longer supported? Is it a compatibility or reliability concern or is it because it's old tech? If we did manage to get it to work with the 3CX build, would there be any point in this? We'd just like to know if there are some issues here.

We are basically summing up whether to try and make the card work, or ditch it altogether and go for something that's supported, either a Patton or Welltech - a recommendation on brand would be appreciated, we're hooking up one BT PSTN line to it (second line being added in a few months).

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. tratz

tratz New Member

3cx never supported Sangoma cards. My belief on this is that 3cx was primarily windows until V 15 and didn't have a good driver set for Windows. I personally have used the Patton stuff and have had very little issues with it.

--Tracy

3. supplenta

We have previously had Sangoma NBE (Netborder Express) setups with ISDN cards. I'm not sure if the A200 is supported by this, but it just acts as a SIP gateway.

The Patton gateways I have heard a lot of positive things about, however they are costly.

4. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

3CX did support Sangoma cards back in v11 but stopped doing so after that. You will need to download NetBoarder Express which is free for up to 12 ports so you should be fine. It is not a 3CX supported scenario, but that just means that 3CX support (if you purchase it) will not help you. I used Netboarder express with Sangoma PRI cards thru v14 with no issues.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ALuisPV

6. Alejandro3CX

3CX Support

Hello njp,

In order that you can keep using your Sangoma cards you can convert your system into a SIP Gateway to redirect the incoming and outgoing calls to the PSTN.

We are working in a guide to show how to do this configuration, and it will be available soon in our website!

I'll keep you update with this!

Best regards!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Luis Londono likes this.
  7. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

The Sangoma Add in cards we're not significantly cheaper, they needed separately licensed software drivers and quite frankly weren't as reliable as a gateway and more intensive to support. Go for a SIP trunk or a Patton or a Welltech gateway at $100 as i dont believe its worth your engineering time. But it works yes. Or easier still use the Asterisk to Gateway conversion guide we are making.

8. njp

njp

Apparently the A200 is supported by NetBorder Express, and without mutilating our current setup our I.T guy has yanked the A200 from the PBX, installed it into another machine and fired up a barebones Win7 with NetBorder Express.

He has found some information to show fairly simply how to set 3CX up with NBE so we have something to try now and see where we can go. He's going to get the 3CX running on another machine and then attempt to interface the two. Failing all of this we will just get a Patton SN4114, looking at around £350 for this.

Looking forward to seeing this!

Many thanks so far with your input guys. Greatly appreciated.

9. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

NetBoarder Express has a Linux version so its not necessary to use the Windows machine. And despite what Nick said, the cards, especially PRI, were significantly cheaper than Patton, even with the paid NBE license if you wanted more than 12 channels. They also have 5 year warranties on them vs the 1 year on the Patton. Supposedly Patton's support is top notch although I've never had a reason to use support from either of them. At the end of the day, if you are an end-user relying on direct 3CX support, then stick with 3CX supported equipment. If you have a knowledgeable partner supporting you or if you already have Sangoma equipment that has worked well for you, feel free to continue to use it as it will work just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.