Why traditional prefixes for selecting outbound routers are not allowed in V.15 / 15.5 ?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by sip.bg, Aug 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Widely used prefixes for selecting outbound rules / providers are no more allowed in V. 15 / 15.5. Why?

I mean traditional line prefixes for selecting exclusive outbound routes, found in various PBX brands, like:
    *81 -- for provider 1,
    *82 -- for provider 2,
    *83 -- for provider 3,
    etc., are no more allowed to be used.
    Why we need to select prefixes like 91, 92, 93 and similar for the purpose ?

The customers and implementers must have the freedom to decide on internal dial plan. Why such stupid restrictions? Whom this is helping and how?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 sip.bg, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Am I understanding correctly...is it the asterisk (*) that you are unable to use? If so, I wouldn't call outside access using that prefix "traditional". In the majority of cases that I've encountered, the asterisk is used to prefix vertical service codes (sometimes referred to as "star codes") for access to special features and functions. You should be able to simply remove the need for the * while retaining the digits that follow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_service_code

3. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

OK, I agree what you point is historical use of star codes, some may be used still with some providers, but this doesn't mean you should not use them for selecting outbound routes for example. 3CX v15/15.5 is allowing to specify them in outbound routes, but not as outside destination in forwarding rules or DDI configuration. If you import DDI table you could workaround the check, until you edit the rule.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There may be some specific reason as to why it is not allowed. And they would have to answer that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.