WiFi handets supported by 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dlamay, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlamay

Greetings,

It looks like the handset market is going DECT, but I need to demo WiFi handsets.

Anyone have a good inexpensive WiFi handset that they would recommend?

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

They are not cheap.

What we find best for customers is to use an inexpensive ATA and a normal DECT handset if they really want it, but either use it as a 2nd device on their extension or preferably we use them as pooled devices and transfer the call to them.

However Kevin from 3cx was saying there was a new(?) polycom(?) dect base coming out that they are working with.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've use three different (pure) WiFi SIP phones (all of which have been discontinued now) I have found that all, have had battery issues (short life span). One combo phone GSM + VoIP had no STUN and so could no be used outside the local LAN. In my experience, they are convenient if you want to make a call when travelling and have no mobile phone access or costs are very high. Some sets, on some hotspots will loose registration after some time and so can't be counted on, in the long term, for receiving calls. In the past, you could pick up some of these sets for about $100 US, and there are still a limited number of consumer quality sets around that price. The majority of "office"grade sets start about 3 times that price.

As abc123 has said, an ATA plus a DECT set would tend to be more economical, not only the initial outlay, but there would also be a big savings in the long run replacing any lost or damaged handsets. The whole wireless component (set and base) could be replaced for the cost of a new WiFi set battery , in many cases. While the range of DECT would not be as great as it would in a site with multiple WiFi access points, some DECT systems now come with repeaters.

4. abc123

abc123 Active Member

I agree with leejor but wanted to expand a bit further.

If you are looking for a good WIFI phone and cheap then we recommend the 3cx phone for iphone and android. Both run very well on wifi (some better than 3g). I use my android all the time (in fact i cut back on minutes on my voice plan) and have used it both wifi and 3g (and 4g when the Motorola Bionic comes out later this year).

It depends where you intend to use it. Around the office DECT is best. Out and about then a suitable smartphone will be best.

I would not buy a dedicated wireless handset.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mattlandis

Mark,

I've been doing research on WIFI handsets myself lately. Especially WIFI roaming, which may not be of interest to you.;-)
    But I'm curious, with the Android and softphone, have you done any roaming tests?

I think particularly what is required for smooth roaming (Ie=can't tell actual roam moment) is layer 2/3 roaming support for WIFI.

If there is any input on DECT roaming units that aren't super expensive that would be interesting too.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would think, using the 3CX phone on Android WiFi, that roaming, would come down to how well (if?) the handset/operating system will switch from one access point to another. Since SIP over WiFi probably wasn't the primary application that they had in mind when designing the WiFi portion of the phone, I suspect that any automatic "trade off" to another access point would probably result in loss of a call. Haven't tried it yet myself. Of course, if it works over 3G, then it is a non-issue.

Haven't seen any residential grade DECT units that do roaming. there may some high priced commercial ones out there. I see that Panasonic offers a range extender with some of their newer units. I wonder how many of those can be run off one base unit, or of they will daisy-chain?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.