wifi latency with android app

Discussion in 'Android' started by n8rld, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8rld

We are noticing echo effect with android app, This is when connected to our office and plant wi-fi, any suggestions for config or setting changes that may help? we are using ubiquiti unifi product. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What type/model of phone? Which version are you using?
    Did this just start, or has it been happening from install?
    Using a headset, or just on the phones earpiece?
    What about over another network, remotely (outside local LAN), same issue?

Which end experiences echo, is this happening on all calls, inside, outside...?

3. n8rld

motorola droid maxx 4 different phones same issue, have not setup outside access yet
    land line callers and office set users experience echo

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If four phones of the same model are having an issue, then my first suspect would be that particular model of phone, or, a common setting. Keep in mind that echo is caused when the (possibly high) level sent is fed back to the caller, this and a slight delay which inherent in VoIP. Sometimes the echo suppressor circuitry is simply overwhelmed by the volume.

If it is in fact latency, then that may be a different issue altogether.

Have you tried using a bluetooth headset?

Have you tried any other model of phone?

5. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Test with local echo, *777.

6. Lev

Lev New Member

I'd like to bump this, because the problem persists in V14 (SP2)
    We experience a very high delay on all android phones.
    Also, before the choppy audio was fixed, we used Zoiper as a SIP Client... the delay was much smaller.
    So i can tell this is not phone related, but caused by the softphone itself!

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Have you updated the app since the newest release came out? See the last page of this thread.

choppy-audio-with-v14-client-on-android-41825-s45.html

Which phones (models) are you having the issue with and over what type of networks local Wifi, remote wifi hotspots, 3/4G mobile networks?

Were you previously using version 11 or 12 of the Android App with the same issue? The original posts were from 2014, so probably not version 14.

8. Lev

Lev New Member

All Android Clients are up to date. Right now they are on 14.0.56
    Phones are:
    - Samsung Galaxy S2 @ CM 12
    - Sony Z1 @ CM 12
    - Sony Z3 compact
    - Samsung XCover 2 @ Valanir ROM

We are on WiFi and as i stated, when we use zoiper as a SIP Client, this problem won't occur (sure, there still is some dalay, but it is way way better)
    We use Meru APs with one virtual cell. But i get same results on my home wifi.

The delay was there in V12 as well. We did not use 3cx before that

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It may be something to do with a firewall, or perhaps, a Codec issue. Are you using the same Codec at each end (is there transcoding happening)? SIP does have a slight delay, by default, but is usually only noticeable if you are within earshot of the person on the other end of the line.

Have you happened to try using the 3CX Windows phone, running on a computer, in the office, connected by wifi?

10. Lev

Lev New Member

- We don't use WiFi on our PCs, but i'll can try it out (but i doubt, that the WiFi is the Prob, since another Android SIP Client does not have that big of a delay)
    - I thought about encryption as well. For that reason i only enabled MAC filtering. And even when i turn off MAC filtering, the delay persists.
    - Codecs are all on A-law (nothing else supportet by SIP Provider anyway)

Edit:
    One thing i can think of being a source for this issue might be, that the android clients all connect via Tunnel to the PBX (3cx PBX is not hosted in-house, but on a vServer) - While using 3rd Party SIP Clients, they where all connected as normal SIP Clients with STUN...
    But since all windows clients are also connected via 3CX tunnel, i don't really know if that might be the needle, i am looking for. But i'll give it a try.

11. Lev

Lev New Member

As of today, nothing has changed. However i googled a bit and found out that this seems to be an android problem in general.
    Also i found a post, which comfirms my own experience with zoiper as a SIP Client. They seem to have a way for a "more aggressive latency reduction". Maybe the 3CX devs should take a peak into that direction.

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to know how Latency is dealt with in an App that seems to work better than others. When sending data, Late" packets can be re-inserted without (mostly) notice of the user. With voice, it has to be pretty close to real time. You can't store voice packets for long without creating a noticeable (more than normal for VoIP) delay. The application has to start dropping packets just to stay as close as possible to "real time". You could keep buffering into memory, but then the conversation ends up with a "satellite" delay. Very annoying.

I use Android, a number of handsets, and, I have encountered both good and bad voice quality. The bad is usually when using a "public" hotspot when travelling.

13. Lev

Lev New Member

Right now it truely feels like a "satelite connection". It seems to be about half to one second.
    The Voice Quality itself right now, is not the issue.

14. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Have you attempted any latency tests from the location you are making the calls? It's one thing to be placing a test call to someone within earshot, so that you can actually hear how bad the delay is, and another, to not be aware that there is a slight delay. I can normally live with a small delay, you get some as a matter of course in VoIP, especially in there is a change in Codecs or VPN involved. It becomes unacceptable when it is so bad that you are talking over each other.

I made a call the other day, on my android phone (Samsung S3), halfway around the world (to the PBX) with no noticeable delay at all. Voice quality was "landline", so I know that my phone isn't causing a delay issue that I'm aware of.

15. Lev

Lev New Member

As i said, the delay is about 500-1000 ms and "talking each other over" is happening a lot (if not carefully avoided by instructed co-workers).
    The Earshot test also confirms this very high delay. I would say, it even feels like it could be above 1 second.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.