WiFi phone recommendation

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by gary2seven, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gary2seven

I need to purchase a couple of WiFi handsets, I notice there are none in the "preferred" or "recommended" section on the 3CX website, can anyone recommend any?

I need them to be handsets for remote extensions and I can't use the 3CX assistant or a proxy tunnel.

We here previously recommended and sold UniData 770 phones, but I just can't get them to work and have been told that they "are not supported" when I try and get further assistance. So I am looking to replace them with a handset that I can get working!

thanks

Gary.

2. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

The Cisco WIP310.

As soon as my install of 3CX at work is live (just waiting for our DDI's to be ported over to VoIP Unlimited), getting a few of these for testing is the next thing on my agenda.

If it works well then one of these will be given out to each of our sales guys who work in the in the UK, but travel all over the world.

3. danoh

I'd recommend an IP DECT solution over straight WIFI, every WIFI phone I've tested has been... well... blah.

Snom M3 is an excellent IP DECT solution.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If they are being used at various locations (around the world) then there will most likely be no where to plug in the base, most locations lacking an Ethernet jack.

A few things thing to keep in mind when going for a WiFi VoIP phone that will work in the most locations.

Many hotspots, including hotels, require that you go through a login/registration/"accept our terms" home page. Unless the WiFi phone has a built in browser (most don't) they will not work at this sort of location. You also want a phone that is easy to change WEP/WPA passwords as this will have to be done by the person carrying the set, some have a menu that can be accessed through the USB port. The set also has to support STUN, it is surprising that a few do not as they are made to be used only in the office, not "on the road". A phone that can be charged using a standard mini USB connector means that it can be charged through a laptop USB port. Some sets use proprietary batteries and replacements may be hard to find in the future. Can it fit into a cell phone case , or some sort of protective "suit", as they will no doubt be dropped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.