WiFi VOIP Adapter with FXS & FXO Port

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by KidSquid, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KidSquid

I am in need of a WiFi adapter with both FXS and FXO ports.....

Does anyone have any reccomendations???

Thanks,

Squid

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Are talking about an FXO/FXS box that can connect to an access point via WiFi or a WiFi router with FXO/FXS instead of the usual 2 FXS ports?

I haven't seen either one myself, that's not to say that they don't exist. I would suspect however that they don't. You can create the first one with an SPA3102 and a wireless network adapter.

I've used the previous model to this one. It does both access point and adapter. It also ran off 5 volts, same as the 3102. http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1689

3. KidSquid

I am looking for an FXO/FXS box that can connect to an an access point via WIFI.

I need to hook up a gate controller to a 3cx system and I need to supply the gate controller with both an FXO and FXS port. The challenge is running an ethernet drop to where the gate controllers telephony connections live...hence the need for wifi.

Squid

4. nwhitfield

A FritzBox might do the trick - I use a 7270 as a VoIP gateway here. It's designed as a broadband router, but you can certainly use it as a cable router. Whether you can use it as a WLAN client too, I'm not 100% sure - you'd have to rummage round in the advanced config, and set it up as a WDS repeater, I think.

There are some setup quirks (and a knowledge of German can be handy, as a lot of the online info about FritzBoxes is in German). Notes on how I have mine set up at at http://gonedigital.net/2010/05/15/using-the-fritzbox-as-a-voip-gateway/

If you're talking about the same gate system that was mentioned a couple of days ago, I'd also get on to the manufacturer and ask them specifically if you can just connect the system to a PBX, without needing that Telco bypass module. Two connections seems like overkill, unless you're having a totally separate set of house wiring alongside the PBX.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Looking on line it doesn't appear that the Fritzbox has an FXO port. It's availability is pretty much limited to several European countries, so it may not be available in all locations. That particular unit also does European DECT, which uses a frequency in conflict with North American mobile phone sites. We don't see them on this side of the pond.

Wanting the FXO port is what is going to make getting an "all in one" box extremely difficult. Having an FXO sort of assumues that you want to connect it to a phone line, which means assumes that you have "wires" going to that location already. Your best bet is a Grandstream FXO/FXS or the Linksys/Cisco SPA3102, plugged into a wireless network adapter. A number of routers can be changed to become adapters.

6. nwhitfield

The Fritz does have FXO and FXS; there are two FXS ports, and the line port can connect either to an ISDN line or to a standard PSTN line - I've used it to do both with my 3CX setup, and my entry phone is linked to one of the FXS ports. But I guess it might be problematic in the US, with the DECT interface causing interference.

Reading the docs for the gate system in the other thread, I still suspect that appropriate configuration would mean only one port would be needed, rather than both.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I did dig a little deeper into the Fritzbox data sheets, they sort of gloss over that there even is an FXO port and don't actually say that by name. I have never seen the make in North America but saw them everywhere in Germany in June. Some versions were a bit on the pricey side.

8. nwhitfield

Well, pricey if you think "that's just a DSL router"

But the 7270 (the one I have) is about £170, and for that admittedly fairly high price, you get

ASDL2+ router
    802.11n wireless, at 2.4 or 5GHz
    DECT base station
    2xFXS ports
    1xFXO port (which can also connect to an ISDN line instead)
    1xISDN S0 port for internal ISDN extensions
    USB with support for NAS and media streaming from attached media
    Built in PBX with voicemail
    Fax server (delivers to email as PDF)
    SIP server for IP extensions
    Support for multiple SIP provider accounts

So, a pretty capable box, and for a lot of domestic users, it'll do just about everything they need, providing a home PBX, separate lines for the kids, net access, answering machine and so on. AVM are a german firm, so they're very popular there in particular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.