WiFi VoIP Phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ewa, Oct 23, 2007.

1. ewa

ewa

Did anybody tested a WiFi VoIP Phone with 3CX?

Here some available products I found:

- SMC WSP-100 ( http://www.smc.com/ )
    - Zyxel ZYXPRE2000W-V2
    - Linksys WIP330
    - Pirelli DP-L10 ( http://www.pirellibroadband.com/ )
    - Nokia E65
    - Starcom F1000G e F3000 ( http://www.utstar.com/ )

2. Zeljko

yes, I was test Pirelli DP-L10 and Zyxel and both works fine.

3. mbs1

hi,

I have tested Nokia e65 and Hp Voice messenger 514.Both work with 3cx but there is a a known issue with the HP 514,the volume on VOIP calls is very low.It seems to be a Windows Mobile 6 issue and has been passed on to microsoft

mbs

4. Firetec

The Ascom i75 and Linksys WIP300 both work great for me.

5. DerrickD2

I am very curious about opinions on the WIP300. I just ordered one online for $85. Considering they go for $150 to $250, it's a good risk. My main concern is the WiFi reception strength. I have some devices that work better than other as far as range is concerned.

I already have a Zoom ATA device in place, and rewired the phone lines in my house so analog phones can connect. Works great, but I am looking forward to taking the WIP300 around and connecting remotely on other WiFi networks.

6. Borsoock

Borsoock New Member

Hi

I have tested Zyxel, Nokia E65 and T-com TC300 (it's Pirelli in T branded envelope).

I definitely recommend T-com/Pirelli with (it supports WPA 2, g729 codec, it's dual wifi/gsm, batery life on WiFi is quite good)

Thank you

Marcin

7. DerrickD2

The Linksys WIP300 came in today. My initial impression was good.

Physically the phone is like a cell phone. It is light and easy to hold, but does not feel cheap. The only downside of the construction is the battery cover, it slides off too easily. The screen looks nice, clear and bright and you can customize it with the limited wallpaper it comes with.

It can check your email while on the network, but I don't think I will opt for that. The phonebook can store up to 5 numbers per person and can be assigned to Generic, Mobile, Work, Home, or Fax. The hold button works well, and the on-hold music kicks in.

The wireless and SIP configuration was straight forward and quick. I can dial an extension and it rings through right away. The wireless signal remains strong throughout the house as well.

Configuring the phone through the onscreen menu can be a little lengthy and annoying, so I would recommend using the we interface. You can access it by the phone's IP address and configure everything there. Much easier!

I am looking forward to going to the local wifi hotspot and trying this out!

All things considered, I would rate this phone an 8 out of 10.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I use both the Zyxel and the wip300. I prefer the WIP for the flexibility in connecting with multiple networks(up to 6) and SIP providers (up to 6). You can also decide which provider to use on which ever network the phone finds so you can set a home config on your home network and a roaming config on an open network. It will also find an "open" WiFi connection a lot faster than the Zyxel. The Zyxel does allow you to dial a non registered SIP provider (that doesn't require a password, like Free world Dialup) from the directory, the WIP doesn't.

9. brunomotta

I have tested the DM610 (http://www.ip-trend.com) and it is working fine

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Don't forget that most WiFi SIP phone have no way to enter a password on a home page at a hotspot so they are only good if some sort of login is NOT required. There are some that have a built in browser but they tend to be the very expensive models and are few and far between.

11. DerrickD2

The WIP300 handles the hold feature quite well. The "Hold" soft button shows up when a call is active. The transfers are a little confusing. You have to place the call on hold, dial the new extension, then the "Transfer" soft button option is visible. Although, I can't do a blind transfer. In other words, I have to place the call on hold, dial the extension, and once the other side picks up I can transfer. I think it's a limitation of the free version.

The range for the WIP300 is as good as your wireless network range. In my opinion, that is a good thing. If I need to reach further, say into the garage, I can just put in a range extender.

Overall, I am very happy with the WIP300.

12. DerrickD2

I agree, and I've run into snags at Starbucks and Panera hotspots. Panera offers free wifi, but I believe they don't have the proper ports open. I tried a software phone on my PDA while I was at Panera and it reponded with a message about being blocked at the firewall. I believe they only open port 80.

13. austinjw

Firetec could post your configuration info for the Ascom i75??

Thanks,

14. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm also now using a UTStarcom F3000 with no problems. Used mostly as a remote extension but tested locally on the same LAN AS THE 3cx. Will be getting an hp IPaq 510 in the next few days to test. No STUN, so I'm expecting problems off the local LAN.

15. ciscotech2007

Here's my post on my story with WIFI phones and/or wireless analog phone + ATA, take from it what you will.

---------------------------------

ok... so after testing and testing I have come to the conclusion my vonage ATA (VTR) specifically just is not stable enough. First, it could be due to my firmware version 1.008 but even AFTER firmware updates and clearing configurations the ATA still trys to 'phone home to vonage'.

The prompts even with the latest firmware are unclear and do not make sense. I was able to get both FXS lines(2) to register with my 3CX but making configuration changes like changing the SIP REGISTRATION timer caused the FXS SIP lines to lose registration with 3CX and not re-register at all. Changing the value back to default brought the registration back but thats not acceptable.

In my environment stability and reliability are key. Picked up a SPA-3102, reset the unit, updated with latest linksys/cisco firmware and it came right online. Plus if I need a FXO in the future I can use the SPA as well. Though I hear this 3102 is not as reliable as the pattons.

I was not that into legacy integration(FXSs and ATAs) and 3CX but I was excited getting to learn about the Snom M3 and WIP310. Both are similar units in that they provide wireless SIP ip hardphones, the linksys WIP310 via WIFI (802.11g) and the Snom M3 via DECT standard to the M3 base station which is connected via network plug on the back. Appears the M3 would be good if you do NOT have wireless network infrastructure available or deployed at your site. While the WIP310, working on WIFI, would be a great choice in wireless infrastructure environments because it communicates via WIFI Access Points.

But the only thing is, both are not cheap and both have downsides. The M3 has limited range from the base, and the WIP310 is relatively new and has some bugs to work out in my opinion. So a cost effective solution I came up with was a UNIDEN DEC 6.0 3 wireless handset telephone system ((1)base station/(1)phone+(2) handsets/(2)charging stations)). Then use an ATA to connect this sytem to my 3CX system.

Here's what my solution looks like, pretty nice looking if you ask me.

[​IMG]

We primarily use the system's IP hardphones such as our Cisco 79XXs and Polycom 330's and 550's. But sometimes there is a need to have a wireless handheld when working in the server room or warehouse or etc.

Caveats:

(a) entire wireless phone system registers as (1) extension. When calling that extension all handsets ring indicating an incoming call. First to pickup 'answers' the incoming call, anyone after that on another extension can 'join' by simply pressing another handset's 'connect' button.

(b) Since phone system is one registered extension, only (1) phone can make an outgoing call to another destination.

(c) You cannot achieve INCOMING intercom or paging from the wireless system since from what most people tell me ATAs do not support INCOMING intercom or pages

(d) DECT wireless does not interfere with my current wireless cisco infrastructure, and range appears better than reported WIP310 and M3

(e) Turned off wireless system's voicemail

(f) While you CANNOT call INDIVIDUAL wireless handsets from 3CX extensions, the wireless phone system does support intercom and paging BETWEEN the wireless system's handsets. So I cannot dial a INDIVIDUAL handset in the system without all ringing but if I am on (1) of the wireless handsets I can dial another wireless handset in the wireless phone system.

Phone system on sale for $65 (local Fry's store)
    Linksys SPA-3102 $20 (local seller)

So, $85 and some gas to the store and now I have SIP wireless ip hardphones, actually......for $85 I have THREE.