Wildcard for inbound rules????

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by tokyopaul, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tokyopaul

I am connecting a 3CX server to a 3rd party PBX via SIP. The 3CX instance has 4-digit extensions for all users. I created inbound calling rules, one for each extension. But is that even necessary? The 3rd party PBX is passing exactly 4 digits and they match the extensions. My questions are:
    1) Do I need an inbound rule if the digits being passed match the extensions?
    2) If rules are needed, can one create a single *-to-* rule?

I searched the forums and didn't see an answer to my question. But I did see one out on the internet where somebody said wildcards are not accepted. However that post seemed dated and wonder if there have been changes over time.

2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

You need inbound rules, one per DID number to extension, you can easily create them in excel table and import it as .csv file. First create manually one rule, export it, copy/edit the rule in Excel and import it back to 3CX.
    Note: DID numbers must be 4-digits in length minimum, or prefix them with '*', like *123.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tokyopaul

Thanks for the clarification. Still don't know why it would be programmed such that an inbound rule is required for each DID in the case where the inbound trunk is passing 4 digits that exactly match each extension.

I will use your trick of exporting to a spreadsheet and then manipulating. I am planning to set up a failover inbound route from the secondary 3rd-party PBX. Because it is coming in on a separate SIP trunk, I assume I will need to create an inbound rule for each DID for the secondary inbound SIP trunk as well, correct?

4. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Yes, exactly, you need to create them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Actually I would recommend not creating Inbound Rules that are that short... ever. You could end up breaking the system in other ways which are much harder to find, but if you've looked around the forums you might have seen the question "are you using short Inbound rules?" thrown around a bit.

Yes, it was for a different version of 3CX and I'm not sure if this is the same 3rd-party PBX you are using, but you could check this out.
    If you are experienced with 3CX and the other PBX, you should get the idea + no Inbound Rules required... ;)

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you use a Bridge Trunk between the PBXs (and not a "normal" VoIP trunk), then inbound rules are redundant, as the Bridge Trunk will route direct to the extension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.