Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Will this gateway work with 3cx?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by john180, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john180

Hi All,

I am currently in the very early stages of implementing 3cx.
    I have got the system installed and working with skype. I would however like to make use of the landline we have.

I know you wither need a voip provider or a voip gateway on the network.

I presume that the voip gateway either plugs directly into the machine with 3cx on or the lan it is on? Also i take it the land line plugs directly in to the gateway box?

The gateway i have see is a OKI BV1250.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250518728214

Will this unit work with the 3cx system. I am trying to get this working on a budget to start with and if this doesn't work are there any other cheap alternatives that will work with 3cx?

Thanks for your help
    John

2. mfm

mfm Active Member

When buying "cheap" you are risking having several issues, that you will find far less support on from the community. For this reason we recommend buying a good one first off as it will avoid you throwing away money with a gateway that might or might not work.

When running into a problem with a supported gateway there is a good chance that someone no the forums has been there and done that, and will be more then willing to help you out.

But theoretically speaking, if it does sip correctly, then there is no reason why it should not work, again thats theoretically speaking :idea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cjay

Cjay New Member

This unit is H.323 and not SIP so doesn't look to be compatible??

4. john180

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help so far.

Do have any recommendations for a voip gateway for the way i am wanting to use it?
    I would be greatful if you could give me some ideas - bear in mind the cost tho ;)

Cheers
    John

5. Cjay

Cjay New Member

Not sure exactly how you do want to use the gateway - but the Linksys SPA-3102 is a pretty good entry level unit. It gets quite a lot of flak in this forum as being hard to set up - but I would dispute this! In my experience it has been a reliable and cost effective way of connecting one BT PSTN line to 3cx (there is also an FXS port in the 3102 to which you can connect an analogue phone to act as another extension on 3cx).

They come up on ebay fairly frequently.

HTH.
    Chris

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I too prefer working with the SPA3102. It has a lot of features (options) and that can scare/confuse people, especially if they aren't too sure what they are doing and just start changing "things". It is great choice if you have no need to go beyond one PSTN trunk. If there is a possibility for more than two trunks in the future (beyond buying another 3102), then a four port gateway might be a better investment.

Setting up any piece of VoIP equipment requires some basic network knowledge and a lot of patience. You have to keep in mind that depending on where you live in the world, given the differences PSTN's have in providing "services" (Caller ID being a big one), you will want a gateway the works properly where you live.

7. john180

Ok,

I am setting this system up in Hull in the UK. The telecom network in Hull is provided by Kingston Communications and not the usual BT like most other places in the UK.

I want to be able to use the line that kingston are running to the building and then get this in to voip system.

How i see it working is as follows:

wall socket from exchange to the SPA3102, this then goes in to the network lan and configured in 3cx as being the voip gateway, this then passes all calls coming from the land line to 3cx and this then makes the ip phones ring... is this possible?

Thanks again
    John

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It won't be a VoIP Gateway but a PSTN gateway, And , Yes, that will work for you. It's a basic setup.You can configure all sets into one ring group. Ask your Telecom provider if their Caller ID is the same type as used by BT or another type (if CID is import to you).

9. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

If you want to use 3CX, you must use a supported gateway. These are listed here

http://www.3cx.com/support/

The Linksys 3102 will work but requires a fair amount of tinkering. Patton would be a better choice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. john180

The Patton would be well out of price range. I am setting this system up for a not for profit organisation so needs to cost as little as possible. The linksys even tho it may require a bit of tinkering is looking like the most likely option...

I'm also looking at which phones to use if any one has any recommendations.
    I've been looking at this model: Cisco Small Business Pro SPA921 1-line IP Phone

I only need to be able to answer the phone if it rings and transfer to other hand sets...

any thoughts?

John

11. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi,

You should have a look at the Yealink range, there also good phones and should fit comfortably in your price range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.