Windows 2003 IIS instead of apache?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by XLNET, Nov 20, 2007.

1. XLNET

Hello everyone :)
    I read all topics about IIS and none of them had clear answer - can it be done and why not (if not).

Is it becasue it's just easier to have 'complete' system (3CX, Apache, PHP, Postgresql) - all tested and working, less support questions.
    I find advantage of using IIS 'Application Pools' and 'worker process', plus I already got failover/load balancing solution working with Microsoft Virtual Servers. Why adding the extra Apache + PHP + Postgresql, when I already got IIS + PHP + MySQL (optimized the way I need it)?

Has someone tried? Using the same port, same PHP config (extensions/php.ini).

2. XLNET

I got some progress... almost got it working with PHP 5.2.5 and IIS6 (windows 2003)

Install 3cx

C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Bin\Apache\php.ini < here you can see the extensions you need:

extension=php_bz2.dll
    extension=php_gd2.dll
    extension=php_pdo.dll
    extension=php_pdo_pgsql.dll
    extension=php_pgsql.dll
    extension=php_xsl.dll

Get the following extensions from:
    C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Bin\Php\extensions

extension=php_cmstatus.dll
    extension=phpshield.dll (or get the latest loaded from phpshield.com)

Go to Services > Stop 3CX PhoneSystem Web Server
    IIS Add new website (localhost port :5481)
    path: C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Data\Http
    RESTART IIS!

Login... I couldn't get PHPShield working (I got zend/ioncube working fine)
    I dont want to waste one day to figure out how to make it work... A new version is coming soon and I'll have to spend another day to make it work.

Unless there is some specific module required (that is available for apache only), I see no reason to be unable to change the web server to IIS.

3. Spitz

IIS SQL

We would also prefer to use IIS and SQL so that when we create new employees we can create their extension numbers all in one go, also alowing us to intergrate with Active Directory too.

4. webguyz

webguyz New Member

If you modify the code you end up having to 'patch' your server everytime a new distribution is released. Not worth it.

There was another post in the forum about ODBC access to the Postgress DB that would allow you to do all the things your talking about like add extensions/users which IMHO is a better way to handle what your looking to do, integrate adding users to both AD and 3CX with minimal programmer interaction and no fears about having to patch any manual changes you made with new releases of 3CX.

I think it would be nice to have IIS and MySQL as well, but I feel the programmers came from a Linux background and are comfortable with Apache and Postgress and its not likely to change any time soon.

5. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

One of the advantages of using Apache instead of IIS is with XP. This gives 3CX the ability to have more than 10 connections to the XP box which works just fine as the PBX server.
    Otherwise you'd need Windows Server and client licenses for IIS making it harder and more expensive to setup.

Not saying that I wouldn't like the ability to use IIS but I see some reasoning behind it.