Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Windows 2008

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by tdrake, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tdrake

Has anyone had success installing the new 3cx v. 6 free edition on a server running windows 2008? I am trying to install on a hosted server and simply down loading the file is not working. I get the following messages:

When I try and install I get a warning message "User Account control" "An unidentified program wants access to your computer. Don't run the program unless you know where it's from or yoube used it before." I select "Allow".

The program tries to install for a time and then I get the following message "3cx Phone System" - "Failed to set permissions on folder C:\program Files (x86)\3cxPhoneSystem\Data\DB. If you are installing on a FAT16/32 partition, this error message can be ignored."

I do not know if we are or not so I selected "OK"

I then get the following message "3cx Phone System" - "The 3cx PhoneSystem Configuration service failed to install." I click "OK" and get the following message "3cx Phone System" - "Error: Failed to start the service: 3cx Phone System Database Server." I click "OK".

And then I am taken to the following "3cx Phone System Setup" - "3cx Phone System Setup Wizard was interrupted. Your System has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, please run the installation again. Click the Finish button to exit the Setup Wizard." I click "Finish".

Any magic sugestions?

2. darrellchapman

Hosted? As in a leased dedicated server or leased virtual server? That's interesting.

I don't have any experience with W2K8 Server just yet but it sounds like your account doesn't have admin privileges or the User Account Control (UAC) feature is not working correctly with the installer. I wish I have more advice to give you. However, if they can get it installed on Vista, I would assume W2K8 would be similar.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tdrake

Thank you. I know we have the admin rights. However the User Acount Control issues I am not sure of. I will check on this.

4. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

3CX v6 works well on Windows 2008. From the messages you are getting its clear that your OS is blocking installation of the software. Could be a rights issue, policy issue or something along those lines.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. alsoft

in order to disable user account control you have to go in regedit and follow
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    look for the DWORD value EnableLUA and set it to 0
    exit the regedit to save and reboot server.

To enable the account control you need to set EnableLUA back to 1

6. darrellchapman

Very good info alsoft.

7. alsoft

Thanks darrellchapman

8. tdrake

Alsoft - I followed your instructions on disabling the user account control. Here are what my settings are:

Name Type Data
    (Default) Reg_SZ (value not set)
    dontdisplaylastusername REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)
    legalnoticecaption REG_SZ
    Legalnoticetext REG_SZ
    shutdownwithoutlogon REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)
    undockwithoutlogon REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)

I have not made any changes to the settings as I could not find the one you instructed to change to (0) in your post. Perhaps I do not have this option to change? Because this is a dedicated hosted server through crystaltech.com I am assuming there may be some admin rights we do not have access to.

9. darrellchapman

If it's a dedicated server you should have unlimited rights to the machine. Wish I had Server 2008 installed to help you.

10. Henk

Henk Member

Looks like your run Server 2008 in 32 bit mode and not in 64, do it appears.

Not sure if you can install all types of software on the 32 bit, i believe it is only for test environments. I only have the beta version here. Ill give it a go and let you know how I go with it (only 32 bit though).

Few questions:

- Have you installed a previous version of 3cx on the server, if so remove everything.
    - Do you have IIS running? If so remove it.

Not sure if 3CX is 2008 certified yet.

H.

11. Thona

You can not install 64 bit software.

Code:
    i believe it is only for test environments.
    No, is not and never was. 2008/32bit is a full server and licenseable.

12. Henk

Henk Member

Thanks for clearing that up, I was really under the impression that 32 bit was only temporary but I must have had my wires crossed.

Sorry for that.

H.

13. alsoft

Have you got an RTM release of WIN Server 2008?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.