Windows 7 and Implementing QOS

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by MathewMoore, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MathewMoore

Update: Here is what I have found. See references within the post :)

Windows7 QOS through group policy management only appears to work if you are connected to a domain. If you are not connected to a domain you need to add an undocumented registry entry to enable QOS on a non-domain windows 7 machine.

This has been tested on windows 7 pro, 64bit edition.

Follow route 1 or 2, depending on if you are on a domain (Route 1) or not (Route 2).

1: If you are connected to a domain then follow the instructions for QOS on a windows 2008 server, at this blog.
    http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/qos-windows-2008-server-local-policy/
    Or for a more granular approach
    http://g7eleven.com/2011/10/how-to-get-dscp-tos-to-work-on-a-windows-7-machine/
    ReBoot, and your traffic should be tagged with the appropriate DSCP value.

2: If you are running windows 7, and are not connected to a domain
    Follow the instructions for 1: above to add the group policy. It will not become active till you follow the instructions below.

After adding the group policy, you need to add a registry entry:
    Open regedit. Type regedit.exe into the search programs and files box.
    Go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\QoS. If "QoS" folder doesn't exist there - create it.
    Add a DWORD parameter named "Do not use NLA" and assign "1" as its value.
    Reboot.

Your traffic should now be tagged with the appropriate DSCP value.

## For more information (where I found the answer), please see the amazing piece of work here.
    http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?274421-Windows-7-resets-DiffServ-(DSCP)-to-0x00&p=2378071&viewfull=1#post2378071

Example: Windows 7 machine, no domain. After applying group policy management.

Now immediately after the registry entry change (After reboot)

Hope this is useful.

Mat

Previous Post:

I have 3cx running on a win7-pro box. licensed.
    I implemented QOS tagging on the box as per the forum blog on "Implementing QOS on a win2008 Server". I was still having issues during high network traffic with poor sound quality. Using wireshark I found the packets were not being tagged with DSCP-56 as per my global policy for the machine.
    I found this article. http://g7eleven.com/2011/10/how-to-get-dscp-tos-to-work-on-a-windows-7-machine/
    It stated that tagging everything in windows 7 does not work unless the machine is joined to a domain. My limited wireshark knowledge seems to confirm that statement. The blog recommends instead adding rules for the following applications 3CXMediaServer.exe, 3CXPhoneSystem.exe, 3CXTunnel.exe.

My questions are: 1) Has anyone else with better wireshark skills than I confirmed this :) and 2) Will adding rules for these 3 applications be sufficient to tag all traffic from 3cx. I ask out of ignorance, because quite a few services are started.

If I can get confirmation of this, I'd be happy to write a post outlining how to achieve tag DSCP tagging in windows 7, if the moderator would consider it appropriate. (I hope this isn't already somewhere in the blogs. I did look and I could not find it). Finally, thanks to the guys at g7eleven for the original post.

Regards,
    Mat

Attached Files:

2. MathewMoore

3. vanick

Hi all,

Please note that the registry entry for a non-domain machine needs to be a String value (REG_SZ) NOT a DWORD.

Cheers,
    Adriaan

4. HostingVikings

Perhaps an other option is to implement VLAN on your manageable switch.
    This would allow you to give priority on your network for voice communications.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.