Windows Client - How do I stop blinking notification

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bmcdevitt, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmcdevitt

Hello All,

I am running Windows Server 2012 + 3CX V12 SP3

All users have updated windows client, our issue is (and this is every user). When a call comes in the 3CX client blinks, which is nice and all, but even after the call the windows client just keeps blinking. It does stop once you click on the application, but everyone stopped looking at it because at this point it just blinks all day.

I'm not sure if this is a known bug or what but I did some googling and could not find anything related.

Please help.

Thanks,

-Ben

2. bmcdevitt

Nothing huh?

3. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Sorry.. no dice.. other than I also hate it.

4. mlump

mlump New Member

I'm getting a ton of the same complaints. 3CX can you do something about this!?!

5. bmcdevitt

*Bump*

Still no fix? I am considering down-grading us. This is extremely annoying, my team has enough going on on their workstations, they don't need a blinking notification all day that is for nothing.

6. julien

Please oh please, listen to us...
    We can't even change this in the register (ForegroundFlashCount & ForegroundLockTimeout) like we can with all the other programs.

It can't be that hard to let us choose.

7. bmcdevitt

3CX one the greatest phone systems IMO with the worst CS.

8. netswork

netswork Active Member

The blinking is without a doubt annoying. I have uninstalled it from my computer. I have a customer with 100 users and we just upgraded to 12. They are about to start rolling out the client...I am just waiting for the complaints to start.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. netswork

netswork Active Member

Here is a link to the 3cx ideas for this topic.

http://www.3cx.com/ideas/index.php?page=idea_detail.php&i=1068

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. norekhov

3CX Support

Please, could you be more specific on this.
    I suppose it works like this:
    When the call is answered taskbar icon should blink with a very slow rate (slower than when showing notification on incoming call) until you press mouse somewhere in it's window.

This will happen when you answer from a headset or from a phone in CTI mode.
    I know that's not very good. We should stop blinking somehow, but this is how Windows works.
    According to Windows the point of the flashing is to get the user's attention. The button stays coloured because the user still may not have looked down and discovered which window was trying to get her attention. Keeping the button coloured keeps that information available.

Now i'm thinking of a user option to enable/disable blinking feature. Cause if you're on CTI or using a headset that can annoy.

11. julien

Sorry, but this is NOT a windows issue!

When we receive a call 3CX blinks on my screen and the screen of a colleague. When she answers the phone i have no message at all at the blink.
    When a standard windows program tries to reach my attention it blinks 3 times and than stays orange (I use the black theme).
    3CX keeps blinking untill I open the program.

If it was a windows setting I could change the behavior with ForegroundFlashCount & ForegroundLockTimeout in the register like I said before.

12. norekhov

3CX Support

Yes, you're right. Thanks for the answer.
    It appeared we have no code to stop flashing in the following cases:

CTI mode answer through phone,
    missed call.

On answer through a headset it will stop flashing ( but will remain orange ).
    I will fix it asap and you will get it in SP4.

Anyway for SP4 we already added an option,
    so you could totally disable the blinking if you want.

Thanks again.

13. julien

Thanks for taking our complaint serious!
    I'm looking forward to this SP. Maybe we will have to buy headsets (or find a sponsor :mrgreen: ).

14. norekhov

3CX Support

To conclude about this issue:
    In SP4 i fixed flashing taskbar so it will stop flashing on CTI phone answer and on unanswered call. But anyway taskbar button will stay alerted ( orange or something else ) until you open the window. This is how Windows works.

Also now you have an option to disable this feature at all.
    So you have three variants of alerting:
    1. Steal focus and ring
    2. Flash window and ring
    3. Do nothing, just ring

15. bmcdevitt

Thanks norekhov,

When in CTI mode it should default to "Do Nothing, Just ring" since they have the option to steal focus if they wanted to answer from windows.

There has to be a workaround though for getting the flash to stop after answering. Your saying once the "Flash Window" is triggered you can't get it to stop flashing unless you click on the window? If that's the case (WTH MSFT....) maybe you should only have two options.

1.Steal Focus, Flash Window and ring
    2.Do nothing, just ring

Thanks for making the change, Our CS Department will be happy with SP4 from what it sounds like.

-Ben

16. norekhov

3CX Support

Well, "Steal focus" and "Flash window" are opposite things so they can't be in one choice.
    Because if you "Steal focus" than "Flash window" will be immediately stopped by windows itself.

For CTI, headset, ring group or queue situation is the same:
    user can answer without activating the window.
    In SP3 in this case we had an error: flashing didn't stop.
    In SP4 flashing will stop but taskbar button will stay alerted ( orange in my theme, this is how windows works ).

That's why i made an option: steal if it doesn't annoy you, flash if remaining alerted taskbar doesn't annoy you or just ring.

17. MichaelB

MichaelB Member
    3CX Support

Hey Guys,
    This is fixed in SP4. Update will be available today.
    Thanks

18. julien

Just installed the SP, THANKS!!!

19. bmcdevitt

Doing it after hours today, thanks for fixing this they will be very happy here.

20. norekhov

3CX Support

Please, note, that in the end we decided to give up option to disable flashing at all.
    Just to keep it simple.

When you choose "Steal focus" it will steal and when "Steal focus" is disabled it will flash.
    But we fixed two major issues which made flashing annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.