• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Windows client install fails ** BUG CONFIRMED

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncrollo

Reaction score
I no longer have the error but I was trying to install the MSI from the v15 welcome email and after the installer completed Visual C++ redistrubutable x86 the installation failed.

I could install v14 windows client, load the config file and update to v15 client and everything worked that way. before trying v14 client I tried rebooting, repairing, etc. Nothing got past the VC++R

3CX Phone for Windows

Error: Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 x86 mandatory prerequisite was not correctly installed [OK]

When installing the Windows application the installation ends prematurely. I've tried uninstalling VC++R and running the installer again, restarting, etc but still has the same symptoms.

This was the msi downloaded from the v15 welcome email (3CXPhoneforWindows15.msi) Revision number {E39CF9B2-EE3C-4D80-A9ED-9CDA356B8B27}

Re: Windows client install fails

Try right-clicking on the installer and selecting "Run as Administrator" just to be sure it is not some sort of permissions issue checking/installing the VC++2015 x86 package.

Also, as this is downloaded from the internet live, the PC doing the installation must be connected to the internet.

With an msi I don't have the option to run as administrator. Tried running in compatibility mode but same issue occurs

xGmtqmK.png

I was able to run a command prompt with Admin privileges and run the msi from the elevated command prompt and same problem occurred. It looks like there is a registry hack to enable running MSI as admin but I should not have to do this.
http://www.howtogeek.com/178826/how-to-force-an-msi-package-to-install-using-administrator-mode/

EDIT: Computer is connected to the internet.

Sorry, I was not specific enough, what I meant was try using the option "Run as a different user" (you might have to Shift + right-click on the .msi file) and then use the Admin credentials.

If this does not work, would it be possible to try and install VC++ 2015 x86 separately from the installer Microsoft provides? I believe the link to it is this:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51682

I tried installing x86 from microsoft, same issue. I grabbed the x64 package, installed that then ran the v15 installer and it went right through. When I had the x86 package installed v15 installer kept wanting to install prerequisite software. Looks like it's not detecting my version correctly.

This sounds like some issue with the Microsoft VC++ 2015 x86 installer then, but of course it is good to know that you managed to fix this by first installing the x64.

Mind you I span up a new Windows machine and tried only installing the x86 and it went through alright.

Thanks for sharing! :D

Nick, was that a 64 bit windows 10 install? I'm not sure if it is isolated to this particular OS or not

It was a 2012 R2 64-bit, yes, but the VC++ 2015 was not installed at all on it.

Bear with us a moment.. If you want to get around this do the following:

Install the V14 client.
Send welcome email to it from v15
it will detect an update and it will update to the V15 binaries. (This way it will work because the bug is in the library of microsoft which is in the software that builds the 3CX Installation).

Let us know.

Nicky, yes that works. Thats how I got around the bug the first time. The other alternative is to install the Visual C++ from the link Nick provided for x86 or x64 depending on your version of Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.