Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ricochet, Jun 6, 2007.

1. ricochet

the line status is registered and the status of the user is online, but all its contacvts are offline. Therefore we cannot call each other :(

Any fix?

2. ricochet

Contact properties: status is "unknown"

but it is offline in the list of contacts

3. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Windows Messenger 5.1? We have nothing to do with Microsoft Messenger.......

4. ricochet

W. Messenger 5.1 is SIP compatible

Ok, maybe I was not clear enough. I understand that you are not Microsoft :) but Window Messenger 5.1 is not MSN Messenger or Live Messenger. It is SIP compatible and can be used as a softphone.

With Window Messenger, I can call another person by typing the full SIP User Id and have a conversation but other data exchange (video, whiteboard, even online status) is not transferred.

So I was just checking if someone has managed to get this data thru.

One question from a newbie: exchange of data (not voice) over IP is under the norm T.120?

If this topic is not coherent ith the 3CX forum, please just delete it, no probem.

Eric

5. geogeogr

I believe both the "contact list" option And all other technologies like Video etc (excluding SMS messages) are beyond the Sip/Voip protocols, so Windows Messenger uses sip for Calls (and Maybe sms) but other protocols for the mentioned features.

The combination of both showing who is online And being able to call him, is (as far as I know...) impossible here, where the only way to know from 3CX or Any IP PBX (excluding scripts/addons) that a user is online, is to Call him and get the PBX response.

Correct me if I am wrong.

6. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Re: W. Messenger 5.1 is SIP compatible

Compatible, yes. You may try to contact it using SIP, but it doesn't have settings to register against registrar other than MSN. At least I haven't found a way to do it. I'm talking about Windows Messenger 4.7.3001
    Anyway, the way it uses SIP makes it completely unuseable as a client of 3CX PBX.

No. And, actually, T.120 has always been used with H.323 protocol, because H.323 is non-expandable and don't have conference control and data transfer capabilities. MS used it in older messengers, which were H.323 based. I don't know why they use it in SIP-based messengers also. There's no SIP clients which support it, as far as I know. T.120 is too complex and heavy to implement it along with easy-to-use conferencing and data transfer facilities that already present in SIP.

7. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Hi Eric,

Sorry about that, i thought you meant Live Messenger.

I can tell you that the next build will allow resolution of SIP IDS, i.e if you have a domain and setup the SIP records correctly in DNS, the server will be able to resolve an address say sales@3cx.com to an extension. Hope that helps...

8. ricochet

Messenger 5.1 as softphone with 3CX

ok, thank you for your replies.

Just for your information, I discovered that within Messsenger 5.1, you can call another person by typing the full SIP ID on the "other" tab of Contact (not Contact directly). This is cumbersom as we cannot define the contact list once for all.

Thus Messenger is not convinient as a softphone, X-Lite is better and Express Talk is also quite better.

9. bgrubbs

ricochet,

If I remember correctly, the online/offline (presence) status in Windows Messenger is using the SIP/SIMPLE standard (an extension to the SIP protocol) which isn

10. ricochet

ah? ok, thank you for the explanation.

11. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff