Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Windows Softphone Update - Out of Band?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pact, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pact

    pact New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2009
    Messages:
    219
    Likes Received:
    41
    With the release of SP3 has come the new version of the Windows Softphone.

    Our userbase has been contacting us today because they have been receiving the update without us pushing it out via the Management Console...

    Is this to be expected?

    It has caused trouble as users do not have Administrative Rights, and some require additional plugins to be re-installed if the Softphone is updated.

    This is ok if we have scheduled the upgrade, like normal, but not when it happens unexpectedly.

    The Mac Client Update came through the correct channel and we were able to approve it after SP3 had been installed.

    Has anyone else noticed this?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 pact, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. techdummy

    techdummy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2017
    Messages:
    212
    Likes Received:
    9
    Hi,

    Yes..I had a similar issue.
    All our users are in remote location and there is a time difference of almost 6 hours, so I only got to know about the issue next day.
    We had automatic updates disabled and I never downloaded the update for windows client.
    But somehow every user received update notification.

    But there was something I did before all this happened.
    We have a test server on which I test out all the latest updates, and I did upgrade to SP3 and to the latest version of windows client on test server. I tried to register my test extension(1XXX) on my laptop and windows client asked for update, which I did.
    Now, I had the latest version of the windows client in my laptop.

    After testing was done, I removed the provisioning file for the test extension(1XXX) from the windows client and registered back my original extension (5XXX) from production server. It registered without any issues.
    I'm not sure if registering my extension from production server on the latest version of windows client could have caused this.

    The thing is, the update was never downloaded on the production server but one of the extensions did get registered on an updated windows client.
    So I'm not sure if this might have somehow updated the database of the server, and hence others getting notification to update the client.
    Just a guess.

    If not this, then I can only think that the update was downloaded automatically by server and pushed to all clients.

    Thanks
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.