Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Windows softphone USB headset - default audio major problem!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Lewis Burgess, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lewis Burgess

Hi all,

We're in the process of (possibly) migrating from SfB to 3CX v15 Pro. We have a heavy reliance on softphones. Currently staff have USB headsets (Plantronics) which they use with SfB on their PCs.

As we are a school, staff are roaming and use anything between 1 and 8 PCs (Win 7) a day and depending on where they teach, could be different each day. Whilst the 3CX SoftPhone account settings follow them as the XML is saved in their networked Documents\My Settings folder, we have a problem with the USB headset audio device.

When a user sets the USB headset as the microphone and output device in the 3CX software, then move to another computer, the headset seems to get a different hardware device GUID, meaning it reverts to the default audio device. They have to change the setting again. Then if they revert back to the previous PC as the GUID has changed, would have to do it again there too. This is completely unworkable and they'll go mad!

3CX seems to ignore the default communication device in Windows and doesn't seem to default to USB Audio devices when attached.

I've tried to use Powershell to grab the full GUID which is being used in the XML file in an attempt to script a change to the XML file if the USB headset is attached at login, but I can only find the device short ID not the full one.

This potentially is a deal-breaker for us and may mean we have to stay with SfB which I'd really rather not do due to very high costs.

Has anyone managed to find a workaround for this as I might just have to cancel the project if not. Unfortunately, there's no way we can afford a 3rd party softphone like Zoiper.

Many thanks.

2. Sopock

Sopock Member

Hi Lewis,

That's also problem with VLC:
    DirectSound: use device GUID instead of device name

Softphone should allow both ways?:confused:

https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/3cx-softphone-client-resets-audio-device-to-default.44809/
    https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/3cxphone-not-store-audio-settings-on-windows-xp.39655/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Lewis Burgess

Hi,
    I did spot those threads. It didn't make a difference if they were plugged in before unfortunately :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.