windows to linux

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by rsuren, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsuren

Hello,
    I have been using 3cx from version 10 .

now currently in 15.5 (or latest version)

the system is running on a windows server 2008.

i was planning to do following

1.Take backup (without recording )
    2. install 3cx on linux using the 3cx provided iso (hope linux and 3cx updates are auto managed by 3cx ?)
    3. restore the backup in new Linux system .

1. linux system has 2 storage one 128GB SSD and another 2TB HDD for recordings
    so will the 128GB SSD enough for database to log files to anything else which might be coming in the backup file which has data for 5 years or more.

2. will i lose any VAD functionality ? like ability to run c# code in my vad app ?
    3. will it be easy to get access to 3cx logs and like i do in window systems ?
    4 is it possible to have some of the 3cx data in 2TB drive if 128SSD is not enough ?
    5. which folder i need to check how much space i might be needing in new system ?

6. windows and linux versions have one to one 3cx features right

7. important thing i need to know is if i decide later due to some reason i want to go back to windows , can i backup and restore in windows like how i came to linux initially ?

8. in windows PC i remote desktop to do admin task. like that for this can i SSH putty into linux ?, if so where to get the key or i have to install key if so how

thanks in advance

#1 rsuren, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  2. rsuren

when i did above it says "The activation server reported multiple activations. Please activate your product from the original computer on which it was installed." ? any help me please

3. rsuren

4. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

1. linux system has 2 storage one 128GB SSD and another 2TB HDD for recordings so will the 128GB SSD enough for database to log files to anything else which might be coming in the backup file which has data for 5 years or more.
    > With normal system usage this should be more than enough. Even with logging in Verbose this should be plenty.

2. will i lose any VAD functionality ? like ability to run c# code in my vad app ?
    > Assuming the VAD project currently works on V15.5 Windows, then it working on V15.5 Linux should be no problem.

3. will it be easy to get access to 3cx logs and like i do in window systems ?

> Its hard to say what you consider "easy". The Management Console looks exactly the same. If you mean from the file system, it depends how familiar you are with command line and the use of an FTP client which is usually the way you get file of Linux Servers.

4 is it possible to have some of the 3cx data in 2TB drive if 128SSD is not enough ?
    > You can't change the install path nor where most of the things are written, but you can set where the recording path is going to be, which is going to the by far the largest amount of data on your system. You could set the path to be on the 2TB drive/mount.

5. which folder i need to check how much space i might be needing in new system ?
    > 3CX on Linux is installed in /var/lib/3cxpbx, you can though place the recordings wherever you want, as long as you set it in the Management Console.

6. windows and linux versions have one to one 3cx features right
    > Nearly, the Linux version for the time being (V15.5 SP1) lacks any functions the Windows has relating to LDAP and/or ODBC.

7. important thing i need to know is if i decide later due to some reason i want to go back to windows , can i backup and restore in windows like how i came to linux initially ?
    > Yes

8. in windows PC i remote desktop to do admin task. like that for this can i SSH putty into linux ?, if so where to get the key or i have to install key if so how
    > Although there are GUIs for Linux, most prefer managing Linux via SSH/command line. There are many ways to authenticate with SSH: user/pass, IP, cert, etc. If this is going to be your own Linux server and not hosted you can do whatever you want, in which case I would suggest checking the sshd documentation which is what Debian usually uses. If you are going for a Hosted Linux by e.g. Google or OVH, then they have their own SSH instructions so check in the Hosting Providers documentation, usually it is very well documented as this is a very common request!

9. when i did above it says "The activation server reported multiple activations. Please activate your product from the original computer on which it was installed." ? any help me please

> This is and anti-fraud measure, contact a 3CX representative for your region to help you out with this. Contact information you can find here: www.3cx.com/company/contact

10. this option not there in v15.5 ->https://www.3cx.com/docs/moving-to-new-machine/
    > Correct, this is because the assumes migrating from V14 to V15, and that screenshot is from V14 (if I am looking at the right one)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.