Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Wireless IP Phone options

Discussion in 'Windows' started by dvs4man, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dvs4man

I am looking for a Wireless Network SIP Phone to work on this network.
    The setup would be to use the 3CX PBX System with Wireless DECT phones that are addressable on the inside of our network.

Let me know if anyone knows if 3CX supports those type of phones like Aastra 400 Base Unit and 420d Wireless DECT Handsets, or any other ones on the market today.

Thanks.

2. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I use both the Aastra MBU400 and the Snom M3 with 3CX and they work great. You have to provision them manually as they aren't built into 3CX but they do work fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dvs4man

Thanks Kerry. That is good news. I was just reviewing a web presentation you did on your website that tells you how to manually provision the Aastra phones.
    One more quick question - Can I have the Aastra MBU400 with the 420d wireless handset, and do 2 to 3 more 420d's to the MBU400 base and have them work as straight forward extensions to the phone system?
    I am not familiar with the SNOM M3, so the same question would apply.

Let me know.

Thanks.

4. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

You can have up to 8 430D handsets per base station. The base station registers all of the extensions and then you can determine which handsets receive calls from which extension. Its a very flexible system. It is virtually identical to the snom M3.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Spider star

I agree that Aastra MBU400 and the Snom M3 with 3CX work very well for the Wireless IP phone.

6. dvs4man

Thanks again. I see Aastra is better priced for the MBU 400 and 420d handset vs. Snom M3.

One more question. Sorry for the continued post.

Which service works best with the 3CX PBX system? I am looking at Broadvoice... Are there better ones that easily work with this software best?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

7. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

There is a list of certified voip providers available. However, I would highly recommend against using a SIP service over the open internet as a primary circuit for a business.

8. dvs4man

ok, what would you recommend for a service then? Let me know. Thanks.

9. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I prefer services that come from the circuit providers like Telepacific, Paetech, XO, and CBeyond. The SIP service should work fine but some wont install their SIP service until 3CX is certified with them so you will probably get a PRI handoff.

10. comresource

comresource Member

Just a FYI on this. I went through the PAETEC certification process with 3CX and have done an install using PAETEC sip services. Only needed to tweak a couple things.

11. dvs4man

Do you have the configuration for manual privisioning the Aastra 400 MBU and Aastra 420D handsets?
    If so, let me know. I am just about to buy these models but want to make sure there is no complicated setup required.

Thanks.

12. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

http://www.voipstore.com/registering-the-aastra-mbu-400-part-1-3cx/

There you go.

13. dvs4man

Wow, you are fast. I went searching on your website, and found your post just a few minutes ago from July 11th on provisioning this phone.
    I read through it. I will purchase the phones from your site for the expert advice you show in this forum.
    I assume it is the same for the 420d handset.

Thanks.

14. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

What works best? Well, in my opinion what works BEST is a PRI circuit. Second best is analog lines, worst is VOIP trunks. The exception being if you are getting your SIP trunk from the same company that installed your internet access, like CBeyond, XO, Paetech, Telepacific, and other hybrid services like that. If your calls are going out over the open internet there is no way to guarantee good quality.

15. dvs4man

Gotcha. PRI is expensive, having a dedicated ISDN or T1 type line. Currently, we have the standard phone service lines (CenturyTel) for our analog service. It is being hooked into the KX-TB4500 Panasonic phone system right now, which is over 6+ years old now. The only cheap option apart from VOIP trunks is using our provider, Charter Communications, but that's if they do SIP Trunk. I assume so if they offer their own phone service.

The other issue on analog is how to get it to work with 3CX, when it is the RJ11 jack coming in from the 110 block. What device would the analog input plug-into to connect to the 3CX system? a PAP2T device?

Let me know.

Thanks.

16. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

How many phone lines do you have and will you need for a while?

17. dvs4man

Hey Kerry, any ideas? Should I ask Charter if they have a SIP Trunk or stay with the Analog Centurytel line?
    Thanks.

18. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Again, it depends on how many lines you use now and how many you plan on needing in the future. You can certainly ask your provider if they have SIP service as that makes switching much easier and is less expensive since you don't need additional hardware.

19. dvs4man

Sorry, I didn't hit the second page to see your latest responses.
    Charter does have phone service, which supports PBX functionality. They have it for $15.99/month, for 1 line. 1 line is all I need, really. They don't provide any support for integration into a PBX system like 3CX though, so curious how much effort it would take vs. going with a Broadvoice., Callcentric, and others, already defined and supported in the 3CX software?

I could stay with Centurytel, and there again, we only have 1 line coming in from them, analog. Not sure how we would connect them to the PBX, except with a PAP2T device.

What should be the right choice here?

Thanks.

20. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

A Pap2t is for connecting to an analog phone as it has an FXS port, you would need something with an FXO port such as a Linksys SPA3102.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.