Wireless Network Coverage for Wireless SIP Phones

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by paul.obrien, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul.obrien

Hi

I'm hoping for some opinions here - so please fire away!

A customer has asked me to supply some wireless SIP Handsets - and also a Wireless Network to support it.

I have done a site survey - and established that we will need 3 Wireless Access Points to accomplish this - and had planned to use Cisco WIP-310 Handsets.

My query relates to the Wireless Access Points - should I buy ones with specific features, or will any Wireless Access Point do? I was considering Linksys for this - but do I require any sort of handover for the phones to be able to roam between the access points? Will calls be maintained as handsets move around the building?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Don't count on being able to roam seamlessly (not dropping a call) from one AP to another. Some combinations of AP's and certain handsets may be able to support this but you'd better confirm that others have this working (with the particular equipment that you want to use) before purchasing and having this expectation.

In the cellular world, mobile phone sites communicate with each other and the handset to be sure that a call transfers (Is handed off) properly between cell sites. In the case of most WiFi devices, they have to re-establish a connection to a second AP after dropping the first. Which means the call will drop also.

3. willow

willow Member

there are certain manufactures that support features like this, ruckus wireless is one of them. the AP's will need to support fast registration and normally need to be under the control of a controller. using standalone AP's is normally not a good idea with mobile users.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.