Won't register if buffers are changed

Discussion in 'Android' started by bind00, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bind00

Hi
    I use Draytel as my primary SIP/VoIP provider at home with a Siemens Gigaset phone and everything works perfectly.

I now have a Samsung Galaxy S with Android 2.1 and am trying to get 3CX for Android working on it. So far it works, but not very well. The main problem is that there's a big echo and it's stuttery despite having Echo Cancellation enabled.

I've tried adjusting the play and record buffers which are both set to -1 by default (whatever that means). However, if either or both of these settings are increased to 640 the phone simply won't register. This seems strange to me as I would expect the buffers only to have an effect during a call and not in registering with the SIP server. I put the buffers back to -1 and it registers immediately every time.

Lastly, there's a little guy on the bottom left of the softphone keypad. I don't know but I guess he's Contacts (?). Whatever, if I press him the program crashes after 10-15 seconds with "The application 3CXPhone (process com.tx.sip.ui) has stopped inexpectedly. Please try again. Force Close".

Any help or suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks

2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Changing the Audio buffers will not help with your Echo issues.
    There's a feature called echo cancellation in the 3CXPhone's settings that works on a few Android Devices that have the required Audio Cancellation Hardware / Software, you should try using that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bind00

Thanks for your reply.
    I already have Echo Cancellation enabled. I was experimenting with the other settings to see what improvements could be made (which requires a very patient correspondent at the other end of the line). There's already a certain amount of latency on the line but wanted to try increasing the buffers just slightly. I appreciate that's unlikely to affect the echo but it could increase the quality generally to improve things overal. As it stands it's unusable for ordinary purposes.

I don't know about the Echo Cancellation hardware but the Galaxy S is a high-end phone and has most of the new developments. Maybe my expectations are too high for this technology.

Anyway, the fact that it won't register at all on higher buffer settings seems like a bug to me. As does the crashing of the UI on pressing the Contact (?) button.

4. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I'll be checking into your Sound Buffers issues in a while to confirm whether the phone crashes.
    Could you tell me what exact settings you used in the Sound Buffers?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bind00

Hi and thanks
    There are two things.
    The app 'crashes' (see error message in first post) (actually I think it's just the UI as the app still seems to be running afterwards) when I press the Contacts button (or whatever it is. The head and shoulders icon on the bottom left of the keypad).

The other issue is the buffers. With the default setting of -1 the app registers with the Draytel server more or less immediately every time. The moment I change either or both the play or record buffer to 640 (leaving everything else the same) the app hangs on Registering... and never successfully registers.

6. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Regarding your Contacts button crash, i'm unable to replicate the issue with the Galaxy S.
    If you could install sendlog from the android market, replicate the contacts crash and generate a "Process" report and send it to my mail at lg@3cx.com for review?

Also could yo go to your 3CXphone Profile Settings > Integration > Redirect Normal calls and disable/enable it, restart the 3CXPhone, and try to press the Contacts button again and see what happens?

7. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I unfortunately cannot replicate the Sound Buffer Crashing issue, although i can confirm we used to have a crashing issue of the kind when the application was first released but was fixed soon after.
    It would help if you could also replicate the issue and send it along with the Sendlog logs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.