• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Wrong inbound FAX tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montclairguy

Reaction score
Trying to get inbound fax working with IPComms (claims to support T38) and 3CX. We've got a DID dedicated and everything setup properly to route the call. When we try to FAX or call the DID from any external source, we hear an outbound FAX tone from the 3CX system, instead of the receiving "warble" you normally hear from any FAX machine that's going to receive. I've found another use who had this issue, but have not been able to find any resolution.

We're using an older version of the system (v8) so I'm not sure if it's broken in that version and was never patched, or if this issue still occurs in the latest version. Looking for any tips as we'd love to dump our local phone line dedicated to receiving FAXes and go with the VOIP line.

Version 8? wow that's pretty old. I have used 3CX T.38 faxing inbound to DID/email and ATA without issues for years but not sure I tried it before v10. I suggest setting up a https://pbxexpress.3cx.com/ instance, attaching your trunk to it and try it out. Much easier than upgrading 3CX to v15.5. As for upgrading from v8 to v15.5 you will have to step through several interim versions (likely 8 to 10, 10 to 12, 12 to 14 and then 14 to 15.5)

Well, v8 works for everything else we need. I really appreciate the suggestion, but I was looking more to see if anyone else has experienced this and what they did to resolve it. Thank you.

Did you ever see this? Not sure if it is still valid, but worth a check. Not certain it will solve you problem.

https://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/upgrade-v10-v11/

I did not and that's very much appreciated! My SIP provider has version 10 and is going to setup their system to test faxing. We tried to get it working with v8 today and it's just broken, according to them. If he gets it working on his version, I'll go through the upgrade process to v11.

I didn't see any mention of having to upgrade through various versions to apply the v11 update, so hopefully that isn't required. I am a tad leery of applying the update though, as I don't want any licensing issues dropping me down to the free version. I'll email 3CX about my situation before I install anything.

Thanks, again, though!

Montclairguy, please consider moving to v15 which has a much better Fax Server. At least you could try it in test mode to compare.

Reactions: Monroe
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.