Wrong numbers dialled?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cfive, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cfive

cfive Member

V 8.x, IIS, on Win7, using Polycom 601 phones. Patton 4114 (x2) to PSTN.

I'm getting occasional reports from users that the number they dial isn't the number they get connected to. Most times, it's the carrier recording - "number cannot be reached". Subsequent call is OK.

The most recent report, a user said he dialled a 7 digit number, and it didn't connect (no elaboration). He dialled it again, and got the 911 operator!. A third time, the call succeeded to the correct destination.

I'm going to poke around some logfiles and such to see if I can shed any light on this; but if anyone has any ideas of what things (besides user error) may cause such behaviour, I'm thankful!.

- Les.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cfive

cfive Member

Attached is a piece of the logfile. I could use some help figuring out what transpired, is anyone is able. It will be a great less on for me how to read logfiles.

The extension in question is 101, and the pstn number involved is 7242636.

The user says this is what happened:

a) he used outlook to dial 7242636, he answered the makecall on his hardphone, but nothing happened.
    b) he dialled the number again, from the hardphone, and got the 911 operator.
    c) he dialled the number again, from the hardphone, and the call went through.

As I read the log, this isn't exactly the way it transpired - and there's another dial in there somehow to 14032793911 which may give a clue to the 911 call.

Thanks for your help - Les.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It could be a gateway issue, corruption, firmware? If the 3Cx logs show that the correct number is being sent to the gateway, and that could be confirmed using something like Wireshark, then the gateway is either loosing digits (as it sounds with the 911 call), or it is sending out correct digits but the level is too low for all to be recognised all the time by the telco equipment (length of DTMF tones?).

There may be a log generated by the gateway the would confirm that it is receiving and sending out the correct digits. Of course being there to catch it, as it is with all intermittent problems, is another mater.

4. cfive

cfive Member

Thanks, I never thought to check the gateway logs.

I haven't had another complaint yet, but will go that route if/when it comes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.