Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

[WRONG] SipDroid 1.5.2 (Android SIP phone) working with 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Bob Denny, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Denny

Bob Denny New Member

edit: This was premature. See my reply post below

I got the Android SIP phone "SipDroid" (v1.5.2 beta) working with 3CX. It works both behind our local WiFI router (NAT) to our public LAN (3CX is on the public LAN) and on 3G. The critical items are:

• Supports Re-Invite must be OFF
    • STUN is required, using stun.3cx.com/3478
    • PBX Delivers Audio can be OFF
    Before doing the above, I had problems with audio when calling from the Android phone to another extension (as discussed elsewhere on this forum). Now it works fine.

This is a good phone, but it does have a few annoyances. The most useful feature is its ability to trap numbers dialed into the regular Phone app and route them to SipDroid and thus to the PBX. I have mine set to require appending a '+' to a dialed number to force it through the PBX, but you can set it so that calls go through the PBX by default, and use the '+' to force the call through the mobile network instead.

The Transfer feature works strangely, but it may be me... I'll research this and post back if I find anything. The other thing you'll notice is on the 3CX admin "Phones" display, SipDroid will appear as a phone multiple times with different (dynamic?) port numbers. This appears to be harmless.

Video does not appear at al, and may require their pbxes.org server??

If you need more set up info, ask away and I'll try to help. I decided to go this route instead of posting a detailed setup procedure here as I am a bit time-limited at the moment!

For info see the Google Code home page for SipDroid and the FAQ in the Wiki there.

2. Bob Denny

Bob Denny New Member

Re: SipDroid 1.5.2 (Android SIP phone) working with 3CX

I have found that calling from SipDroid to another extension on the same 3CX has a problem. There is no ringback tone, instead just squeaky noise. If the other party doesn't answer within a couple of seconds SIPDroid abandons the call without even sending BYE. INcoming calls are OK as are calls out via the 3CX to PSTN and SIP to PSTN provider (CallCentric). There is an issue filed on this and I added my input to it. Hopefully it will be fixed!

3. mylove4life

mylove4life New Member

Re: SipDroid 1.5.2 (Android SIP phone) working with 3CX

Same here

4. Bob Denny

Bob Denny New Member

There are many more problems. I decided to try to fix it up by checking out the (open) sources, firing up Eclipse and the Android SDK, and my trusty Microsoft Network Monitor 3.3 (which decodes SIP/RTP/etc. packets into a formatted tree display).

A (wasted) day later, I have discovered so many problems with this app and its SIP protocol that I decided it's best relegated to the trash heap. It looked so promising on first glance.

My hope is that the 3CX Android app will flourish and mature into a great SIP phone. I added a bunch of suggestions to the "suggestions" thread in that forum. I hope the 3CX guys will take at least some of them to heart.

Sorry for the false alarms here...

-- Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.