Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Yealink Phones Dial 0 and *30 on their own

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by GeekSqueak, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeekSqueak

We have a fleet of Yealink T20P phones that will intermittently dial 0 a couple times and then dial *30. The pattern is usually a 0 followed by another 0 and then *30. I believe this behavior is transparent to the phones user. It will do this behind the scenes, so to speak. Lately we have seen this happening at regular intervals. 8:01 PM is the usual starting time The phones doing this are seemingly random. Some phones will do it every night while others will be a bit more sporadic. I'm doing some troubleshooting. I have increased the lease time for DHCP to see if this may be the issue. I'm also looking into any issues with the feature key synchronization settings on the phones. Everything else in the 3cx software has been working great.

EDIT: Just checked the lease expiration dates and they are not even close to 8:00 PM.

EDIT 2: Checking the log files on the Yealink phones. Nothing conclusive as of yet. One error has come up consistently: SUA <3+error > [000] [Server0:] try reg again after (30) s.
    This is a bit confusing because all phones stay registered.

#1 GeekSqueak, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Well, quite unusual.

Check the second line setting on the phones and make certain that they are either disabled or connected as needed with the right credentials, Check the IP blacklist as well. You might also check to see if, for the extensions, are set to automatically change status per office hours as well as in any softphones that might be set to change status on idle.

3. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

I've seen this behaviour before, usually after doing an update. Are all the phones on current firmware and have to reprovisioned using the stock templates? That takes care of it for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GeekSqueak

Thank you all for the input.
    @cobaltit
    All phones are on the current firmware and were reset to factory before provisioning. We are using customized templates. We created these templates based off the latest stock templates provided by 3CX. We have only changed a couple of lines on these templates. We need to use these templates because it would take too much time to configure all of our phones manually. I will check these templates out to see if there is anything that stands out. I am also going to set up 5-10 phones with a stock template to see if they will exhibit the same behavior. I have also increased the detail in the log files on quite a few phones to see if that will provide any clues.

@lneblett
    The line/account settings on the phones are all correct. Some are disabled and others have the proper credentials. The are no blacklisted IPs. We do not have any softphones. We do not have any extensions using office hours.

I will keep this post updated on any further developments. Thanks again.
    Regards,
    GeekSqueak

5. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

@GeekSqueak I understand the need for customized templates as we still do for some installs. However a lot of the reasons for customized templates have been resolved with the added customizations so I would make sure you still need customized templates if you haven't already.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. GeekSqueak

I have a hunch why the phones are exhibiting this behavior. This only pertains to Yealink phones. We have configured custom templates on all of our phones. Please see below if you want to know why. When we set these custom templates up we only used our logical brains without any research. It seemed pretty straight forward. Now, upon further investigation, we have found that there are two files needed for Yealink phones. The following link provides the correct configuration for custom Yealink Phone templates. The Yealink specific information is found near the bottom of the article.
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/custom-ip-phone-templates/

We failed to rename all of the .cfg files for each custom template. We have reconfigured all of our custom templates to address this issue by giving the config file for each custom template a unique file name and we will restart all the services and re-provision all phones tonight. I will keep this post updated with all further developments. Thank you again for all the input.

Regards,
    GeekSqueak

Custom Template Justification:
    We need custom templates because we have created departmental voicemail boxes on each departments phones. It allows for a departmental queue to have a departmental voicemail box if no one answers. When a message is left on a departmental voicemail box all phones in the department will have the voicemail message indicator light lit until someone listens to the voicemail message. A little out of the ordinary but it is a convenient way to never miss a call when someone calls in on our queues. It also circumvents leaving a message on only one phone where it may not be retrieved for quite some time.

phonemaster likes this.
  7. GeekSqueak

Update: Some of the phones exhibited the same behavior after the re-provisioning @ 8:01PM last night. I'm guessing that the phones may have been automatically synchronizing because all of the templates had been changed. My hope is that this is a one time thing now and all phones will stop exhibiting this behavior going forward. I will keep this thread posted on all further developments.

#7 GeekSqueak, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  8. GeekSqueak

Update: The remainder of the phones, except for 6, that did not exhibit this behavior the first night have done this the second night after the re-provisioning. None of the phones that did this the first night have repeated it. I will monitor this and hopefully by the third and fourth night all phones will stop this behavior.

9. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Some of the older Yealink phones had some issue in the firmware that caused this to happen when they lost power. I can't remember if it also happened in other cases as well like when losing registration or reprovisioning.

As far as I am aware, the last FW Yealink had released for this phone had not addressed this issue. If I am correct, you may be stuck with the problem, the only way would be to check what is causing the phones to reboot and/or power off.

10. GeekSqueak

@NickD_3CX Thank you for the reply.

Update: All phones have stopped exhibiting this behavior. I believe changing the .cfg file names for each custom template has fixed the issue. If you need any further details please reply to this thread and I will provide all the information needed. I like to thank everyone for their valuable input.

Regards,
    GeekSqueak

11. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

That would make sense actually, if the .cfg filenames are the same for other templates a well, the phones may actually phone provisioning changes when they check at the intervals that they do, causing them to reboot, causing them to exhibit this behavior.

Thanks for sharing this! I honestly did not think of this scenario.

What @GeekSqueak said, to explain, is what is also outlined in the "Creating Custom IP Phone Templates" article in the section we have specifically for Yealink phones.

Just a note to all though, basically this did not fix the issue, it just stopped the phones from constantly reprovisioning and rebooting.

12. GeekSqueak

Update: The phones will exhibit this behavior every time that we reconfigure custom templates and re-provision the phones. The nice thing is that they will only exhibit the behavior one time after re-configuring the custom templates and re-provisioning. From the sounds of @NickD_3CX's post Yealink has not fixed this issue and may never fix it.
    We have laid down some ground rules to help mitigate any issues that may impact the performance and availability of our phone services.
    (Granted the phones will only do this around 8 at night, but better to be safe than sorry)
    1. Create a forwarding rule that handles a single digit, 0, and do not provide any route for the outbound rule. This will kill any calls made to 0 by these unruly Yealink phones.
    2. Only re-provision a small group of phones per day after a template change.

That's it. :)

Regards,
    GeekSqueak

13. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

note: a reason for a custom template: Multicast Listener for Paging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.