Yealink T38 3CX phonebook or LDAP search

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by nbrown, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbrown

    Joined:
    May 6, 2014
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi, I'm trying a Yealink T38 IP Phone (firmware 38.70.0.198) but I have one big issue, the 3CX phonebook doesn't show numbers only null against names and the built in LDAP lookup of the phone just won't show any results against active directory. Either way I have no contacts that I can use. The 3CX phonebook works fine for Aastra and Windows phones so I know it's OK.

    Can anyone help?
     
  2. nbrown

    Joined:
    May 6, 2014
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've just realised that the XML output for the phonebook only has mobile phone numbers, it doesn't include any others at all, how do I correct this?
     
  3. craigreilly

    craigreilly Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Messages:
    3,325
    Likes Received:
    253
    You could roll your own...
    We take the 3cx xml file (which is extensions - we don't use the phonebook) and merge it with Active Directory.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nbrown

    Joined:
    May 6, 2014
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    We already have the extensions in AD, but the LDAP lookup/search on the Yealink phones just won't work, each time it comes back with no contacts.

    For now we've changed the phone book so extension numbers are in the mobiles column and it works, just not ideal.
     
  5. nbrown

    Joined:
    May 6, 2014
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    It was a firmware issue, had to update to 32.70.0.130 to get it to work.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.