Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Yealink T46G phones show as new, and label discrepancy

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by engin411, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. engin411

engin411 New Member

3CX v12, latest build. Not sure if this is a Yealink or 3CX issue, but I often have existing phones showing up as new in my Phones node. The phones showing as new are not new, in fact they've been in use since mid-2013. The phones showing as new are also listed down further in the list as registered and working Ok - meaning, they are showing twice. I have arrows by two phones in the screenshot.

I think this may happen when the phone's IP changes, but why?

Separately, another thing is why do some of the T46G phones show a longer label than others? (two stars on left) All of these phones are T46G's, although different hardware batches.

Attached Files:

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I believe that you are correct in your assessment regarding the duplication and the cause being the IP address. You have nothing to worry about by rejecting the unassigned ones provided that you also see the same MAC address being shown assigned elsewhere. I think this is simply a quirk in the 3CX system by not identifying and then not showing the entry that is not registered/assigned if there is a corresponding registered/assigned duplicate. Why it happens is because the phone is set to DHCP and your DHCP server is assigning an address from a pool. In many cases it may assign the same IP for what seems like a continual basis, but there is no guarantee. The router may have been powered down (as well as the phones) at some point so when it all came back up it may have been a case of who was first to request an IP. You can avoid this by reserving the IP to the desired MAC address and this way the the IP will always be issued to the same device.

As far as the labels go, I do not know, but this may be the host name or perhaps even a name from a template. I assume it possible that 3CX could be taking the name from a template and that perhaps you have not had an occasion or need to provision certain units since a new template was provided or updated and that they could be retaining the identity relative to the template by which each phone was last provisioned.

You might look at a couple of the phones' web interface and see if you note a difference on the status page. This may shed some light if they hard code identities in the phone itself.

3. engin411

engin411 New Member

Hello,
    Thanks for the reply.

I agree it is not a major issue. That being said,
    1. setting static IP's is a pain and more work than I want for our phone network
    2. the label is not the hostname, as I have the hostname set on each phone to something else
    3. the label is not pulled from a template, as all phones are using the same custom template. I am suspecting different hardware versions, but your point is a good one because maybe I can set the label in the template.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.