Yealink T46G Quality Issues

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Ryan Fioravanti, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan Fioravanti

Hi,

I'm new to 3CX, working on deploying a system with 30 Yealink T46Gs running the current supported firmware release 28.81.0.60 and have been experiencing quality issues during my testing. I've located the documentation walking me through the Yealink codec priority and other settings which do not resolve the problem. The typical symptom is calls either sound a bit muffled (not bright, too much bass) or they sound compressed. I contacted Yealink and they asked me to try firmware release 28.80.0.202 which seems to resolve the issue (calls now sound great), however 3CX software now shows this release as "Not Supported".

Any help would be appreciated.

2. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

3cx generally just supports the latest firmware they've tested. You're running special firmware from yealink so there's really not much to do. Other than the red "not supported" text, are there any other issues ?
    In reality you (we) should be pushing yealink to include these sound fixes in all their firmware. I've had to use that "bass fix" firmware often in the last couple of years, yealink doesn't seem to want to make it a permanent thing in their firmwares.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ryan Fioravanti

Thanks for the reply. I haven't encountered any other issues yet, but I've only been doing basic call tests etc... trying to get it ready to deploy. Yeah, that's strange they don't include in all firmware, despite it being an issue (I've come across several threads on other sites as well having the same issue).

4. sofiane

Hi, we have got the same issue with FW 28.81.0.60 "sound a bit muffled (not bright, too much bass) or they sound compressed" and too low
    Where did you get the FW 28.80.0.202 please?
    Thank you

5. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

Sofiane, for which model do you want this firmware ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Ryan Fioravanti

7. sofiane

Hi Jason, thank you for your kind reply, we are using T46G,
    Thanks also Ryan I will test it tomorow and let you know.

8. erling

Thanks for your post. We use the T46G almost exclusively and the sound quality issue with the newest firmware is good to know.

For others wishing to roll back to 28.80.0.202, I can confirm that Ryan's share token link to Yealink's FTP site is still active. (Thanks Ryan). I'm not sure if there's a way to update the firmware data base in 3CX with the older version, but it's easy to do a factory reset on the phone and do a manual firmware upgrade using the phone UI to get it back to 28.80.0.202.

As far as I know, you'll have to perform the upgrade (actually a downgrade) on each phone individually.

If anyone knows how to update the firmware database with 28.80.0.202, please post.

Again, thanks for the heads up and solution!

9. 3CXusername

3CXusername New Member

I've been hang on to Yealink T4x v73 FW, as it seems anything after has quality and background noise issues.

Everything seems to point to firmware as the template hasn't changed. Has anyone done any investigation or make any progress with Yealink? Or have any setting changes to improve v80/v81?

#9 3CXusername, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  10. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

It's not the newer firmware that has sound issues, it's practically all of them (depending on who you ask). that .202 version was originally created for me since lots of our Canadian resellers were complaining. I had a V73 version with the sound "fixes", and they eventually made an equivalent firmware with V80 over a year ago (which is the one being shared above)... I have special firmware (V80) with those sound "fixes" for all the T4X series phones. Personally I don't really hear the difference, but lots of our partners do.

11. sofiane

Yes Jason, there is no difference regarding the quality however it's just that the microphone is a bit higher than the version of 81

12. DSXDATA

DSXDATA New Member

Also be sure to check which codec is in use - if its g.729 - then audio quality will be perceptively poor.

13. sofiane

I never use g729 always G711 or G722 depending the SIP provider

14. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

Also, unless necessary, disable pbx delivers audio.

15. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

Do the same audio issues affect the T42G?

16. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

I think it's more about the type of sound some people are expecting. People notice the difference when they move from their good'ol Nortel (or whatever) pbx that they've had for the last 20 years to an IP based system. It takes some people a little getting used to. For some this firmware makes the sound WAY better, I don't really notice anything.
    Here's the equivalent firmware for a T42G:
    https://goo.gl/dTU70m

17. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

Thanks. Archiving the files and this thread in case someone complains.

18. sofiane

Totally agree with Jason. One a best test can you guys do and you will see the difference about a quality. Connect the yealink T46 or T42 to directly any SIP provider and compared when you go via 3cx to the same provider.

19. 3CXusername

3CXusername New Member

Circling back to my issues with Yealink FW quality differences.

My A/B testing has been in the same environment using v73/v80/v81 making test calls internally. Each firmware has a slight to extreme variation in quality. Unfortunately, in our case any changes to end-users are disruptive (sensitive user base), however the FW upgrades have not been for the better. Mainly that is the reason we've stuck with v73 for so long. Really nothing compelling to upgrade to latest just looking to make the latest work. I'm planning on revisiting testing and looking if there are any optimization to be had on later FW versions.

Really looking for specific feedback from the community on anything they have done in their own testing.

#19 3CXusername, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.