Yealink T58 and Skype

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by nobody, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nobody

nobody New Member

This is most likely not very much related to the 3CX phone system, but might be a little:

I am testing a T56V, version 58.80.0.40 together with skype.
    I tried first the latest version of the skype v7 release, then the skype lite version.
    I have to say, with the full skype version, the videocall quality is inacceptable because the framerate is about 0.1 pictures/second.
    Then I tried the "lite" Version. Even, if it is only for india (for low bandwidth and lowend devices ), and even if it tells me that google play services are needed and not present, this version runs fine and I can use Skype without any problems.

There are still problems like when having skype and a chat in the foreground left from a previous chat, then I use the CTI dialer to dial a number from the PC, it will just send the number to dial in the chat window. But otherwise looks nice and it is usable.

However, I fear that with Android 5.1 it will not take long until skype stops working on this platform. Also I dont have a good feeling to use the "light" skype version in a production environment because of the missing Google Play Service. Might work for me now, but who knows what happens in a few month.

Has anybody else tried similar? The T58V looks like a great option to serve telephony plus video calls with skype to the users. Also, when the exchange addressbook is synchronized with 3CX this is the one and only phone I know where I can view the incoming callers name nearly complete (does not work well with W56 or the 3CX webclient), also it is dirt cheap, but still well made in my opinion.

Or, are the better phones availible if I want telephony and skype videochat in a Desk phone?

TIA

2. Michael Groom

im not sure why you would need skype when you have the 3cx web conferencing that works better in my opinion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nobody

nobody New Member

First of all, My question was not regarding the 3cx web conference.
    But, if we are on the topic:
    I tried just now to use the 3CX system by the supplied "click to call" link.
    my two browsers on my Samsung Note8 (firefox and Samsung) displayed a blank page. Safari on my Mac was not supported. IE on my windows 10 also not. Then on my windows 10 Remote-Session-PC there is not camera and no mic. So, tried Safari on the Mac and, I was able to submit a session request.
    Result: an email arrived in the users inbox with a request for "private room". And If I wanted to follow it, on android I have to install an application for 3CX webmeeting. Also for iOS.
    You call that "works better"?

There was a 3CX version which had click to call (hosted not by 3cx but by my own phone system). When using this, Soemone (with the correctly configured browser), was able to initiate a Call (phone or video), and actually, my phone rang! This was near to works good. But for a reason I don't know, this features was canned without prior notice and removed by an "update".

There are security concerns regarding webrtc, but there are security concerns regarding skype, this make no difference. But, Skype is available for a rather large user/device base, it might even come preinstalled on many phones/PCs. So I can expect it just works. Also, with skype on the T58V, in case of a call my phone is ringing, and i am not distracted from my PC. And, I don't have to care for webcams sitting on the top of the Screen displaying a worse picture of the person in front. The Angle of the phones cam ist just right. If the users session is on a Terminalserver/Remote Desktop Environment, I don't have to care about connecting webcams and microphone from the physical PC to the remote desktop session. The phone is already there, and it has a microfone and a speaker or a headset. This even has a cam. Everything is already connected.

Therefore I would prefer Skype.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.