Hosting 3CX PBX Phone System in Amazon AWS
On this topic
You can easily host 3CX in your own Amazon AWS account. This allows you to manage all your servers from one Amazon account and leverage your Amazon knowledge to stay in full control of your 3CX install. This guide explains how to get a free Amazon account and use it to setup an instance with a 3CX hosted PBX using PBX Express.
Step 1 - Get your Amazon AWS account
If you don’t have an Amazon account yet, follow these steps:
- Navigate to https://aws.amazon.com/ and complete the registration process.
- Part of the procedure involves receiving a call from Amazon to enter a one time PIN.
- Once you have registered, log on to the AWS console here.
Step 2 - Create Amazon User and Key Pair
- Once logged on to the AWS console, search for “IAM” in the top search box. Select the IAM - Manage User Access and Encryption Keys option.
- In the Identity and Access Management page, click the “Users” link.
- Once in the Users page, click “Add User” to add a new user to the system.
- Enter a Username, select “Programmatic access” and click “Next”.
- Select “Attach existing policies directly”. From the filter policy type search for “ec2” and select “AmazonEC2FullAccess”. Then click “Next”.
- Now review the details you have entered and when ready, click “Create User”.
- You will receive a confirmation that the account has been created. Take a note of Access Key ID and the Secret Access Key. This information is shown once so it is recommended to click on download .csv to have a copy of your credentials.
- Click on EC2 Dashboard and on the top right corner, select a location where you plan to create this machine. In this example we will choose Ireland. This will take you to the Irish Data Center.
- A Key Pair is required. Click on Key Pairs and “Create Key Pair”
- Enter a Key pair name example “techsupport”. A certificate file will be downloaded named “techsupport.pem”. Keep this safe because it is only available one time.
- Visit the marketplace page for Debian 9 Stretch here.
- Accept Terms in order to deploy Debian 9 Instances.
- You have successfully completed all the prerequisites required from Amazon. You can now proceed to PBX Express
Step 3 - Take the PBX Express
Now fill in the trial / free license key form. You will have to confirm your email. In the email, the link to the PBX Express will be sent. Click on the link to take the PBX Express to setup and configure your hosted 3CX PBX in your Amazon account.
Step 4 - Select Amazon and allow PBX Express to setup the machine
- Authenticate with your Amazon account in the same browser window.
- In step 5, specify Amazon and enter the created user’s “Access Key ID” and the corresponding “Secret Access Key”.
- Select the location where you created your Key Pair. To understand which Amazon location to choose click here. In our case, Ireland is mapped to “eu-west 1”. Select the Key Pair and machine type. Your hosted 3CX PBX will now be setup in your Amazon Account!
- After PBX Express is finished you can go to Instances and see your 3CX PBX machine.