Auto Provisioning Multiple IP Phones on the Same Extension
With 3CX Phone System you have the option to provision multiple IP phones on the same extension. This can be particularly useful in case you want to use one phone at home and a different phone at the office, keeping the same extension number. There are two methods to achieve this:
- By provisioning both phones on the LAN first. The phone will then be configured for remote use automatically and you can take it out of the office.
- By copying the provisioning URL in the phone’s web configuration interface and clicking “Auto Provision Now” from the phone’s web interface (URL location depends on the phone manufacturer in the phone web interface settings).
In this guide we will illustrate how to provision multiple IP phones from within the LAN. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Log into the 3CX Management Console and select “Phones” node.
- Select the first phone that you want to provision and right click on it. You now have the option to create a new extension (by selecting “Add Extension”) and assign the phone to it, or assign the phone to an already existing extension. If you select the “Assign to…” option you then have to select an extension from the extension list that will appear and click “OK”.
- You will be taken to the extension’s settings page in the phone provisioning tab. Notice that the MAC Address and model have been automatically filled in for your phone. You may also select the phone display language from here.
- If you plan on using the phone in office, then in the provisioning method field select “Local LAN”.
- If you will use the phone out of the office then click on the “Select Provisioning Method” field and select “Remote Extension (STUN)” or “3CX Session Border Controller”.
- To provision a phone with “3CX Session Border Controller” you need to have 3CX Tunnel / 3CX Session Border Controller installed and configured.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the provisioning tab to configure your BLF settings (optional). When finished click “Apply”. Your IP phone will restart and provision itself.
- To provision another phone for the same extension, go back to the “Phones” node. Select the other phone that you want to provision for the same extension and right click on it.
- Select “Assign to an existing extension” and from the extension list that will appear select the same extension as you did for the previous phone you configured.
- A notification will appear telling you that a phone has already been provisioned for this extension. Click “OK” to proceed.
- You will be taken to the extensions provisioning page again where you can configure your second phone.
- The next steps to configure your second phone are identical to steps 3 and 4 of this guide.
- You may repeat the process to auto provision additional phones to the same extension.