Getting Started with your Virtual 3CX Phone System
Congratulations! Your virtual 3CX Phone System has been configured and you are now ready to get started and use it within your organization. You should have received an email with your credentials and a link to your management console.
You will now need to perform the following steps to complete your deployment:
- Step 1 - Login and configure your Virtual PBX
- Step 2 - Create extensions
- Step 3 - Deploy 3CXPhones
- Step 4 - Configure Push
- Step 5 - Deploy IP Phones
- Step 6 - Add a SIP Trunk
- Step 7 - Activate your free Video Conferencing
Step 1 - Login and Configure your Virtual PBX
When you login to the 3CX Management Console for the first time you will be presented with the "Configuration Wizard" which will walk you through the initial configuration step by step.
- The first window will ask you to choose the digit length of your extension numbers. This is a very important decision, since it cannot be altered later. Choose your setting and click “Next”.
- Select your country, International Dialing Code (exit code) and time zone, then click “Next”.
- The General Settings configuration window will ask you for the Operator's Extension, which is the default destination for inbound calls. You can leave the default or choose your own, then enter a Name and an Email for the Operator and click “Next”.
- The wizard will then ask you to specify the countries and regions to which calls can be made. Calls to countries which are not selected, will be blocked. This feature reduces the risk of VoIP toll fraud. Choose the countries you would like to allow and click “Finish”.
You have now completed the initial configuration of 3CX Phone System. Your browser will open and you will be presented with the 3CX Phone System Management Console. The Quick start page will show you the steps you still need to take. Note that your Virtual PBX is a Free Edition by default, which includes most features but is limited to 2 simultaneous calls. If you want to activate an existing license, see Activate your Virtual 3CX Phone System License.
Step 2: Create Extensions
You are now ready to start creating extensions. You can create them one by one, import them from a .cvs file or from your Active Directory. To see how to do this read our Extension Management guide.
Step 3: Deploy 3CXPhone Clients
3CX has integrated clients for popular devices as well as softphones for Windows and Mac. Download the appropriate 3CXPhone client for your device:
For information on how to deploy 3CXPhone, see our guides for:
Step 4: Configure PUSH
In order for 3CX smartphone clients to be able to wake up your users’ devices and allow them to take the call immediately, 3CX relies on the PUSH servers of Google and Apple. When extensions are created they are enabled for push notifications by default. You will only need to setup Push servers for Google and configure your firewall rules for both Apple and Google Push. To do this, see our guides:
Step 5: Deploy IP Phones
You can now deploy your IP Phones. You can choose to use the 3CX Session Border Controller or connect the phones directly using the STUN feature. To learn which option is best for you, see our Deploying a Virtual PBX Configuration guide.
When you have decided, you will need to enter the provisioning URL for your Virtual PBX into the phones. You can find the provisioning URL in your welcome email, or in the System Status Quick Start page.
For instructions on how to enter the URL into the phones, see our configuration guides, on our SIP Phone Page.
Step 6: Deploy a SIP Trunk
In order to make and receive calls from the PSTN Network, you will need to configure at least one SIP Trunk / VoIP Provider account. 3CX supports a wide range of SIP Trunk providers. For the full list see our Supported SIP Trunk Providers page.
Once you have obtained your account, see our guide on Adding a VoIP Provider / SIP Trunk to learn how to configure your SIP Trunk and add your DID’s to receive inbound calls.
Step 7: Activate 3CX WebMeeting - Video Conferencing
One of the unique features of 3CX is that it comes with a free Video Conferencing facility for up to 10 participants. All users can enjoy plugin free web conferencing right from within their 3CXPhone clients. All you need to do is activate your personal 3CX WebMeeting portal. For instructions on how to do this see our Configuring Web & Call Conferencing guide.
You are done!
You can track your progress from the Quick start guide in the 3CX Management Console System Status node. When you have all your steps configured it will look something like this: