Hosting 3CX PBX in Amazon Lightsail
On this topic
Easily host and manage 3CX in your own Amazon Lightsail account, managing all your servers from one account and leveraging your Amazon knowledge to stay in full control of your 3CX install. Amazon Lightsail is a simplified version of Amazon AWS, which makes it much easier to setup 3CX on Amazon. Pricing is better too, with an instance suitable for 3CX costing just $5 a month (pricing as of October 2018).
Step 1 - Get your Amazon Lightsail Account
If you don’t have an Amazon account yet, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Amazon Lightsail page and complete the registration process.
- As part of the registration process, you need to enter your credit card details, even if you plan to use the free tier.
- Once you have registered, log on to the Lightsail AWS console here, as shown above.
Step 2 - Get your API Access Keys
To create the required API access key and allow 3CX PBX Express to create an instance and provision it with 3CX for you:
- Go to Amazon Lightsail and in the top right corner, click on “Account” > “Account”.
- On the “Account” page, click on the “Advanced” tab and then on “Go to the IAM console”.
- Select “Continue to Security Credentials”.
- Expand “Access keys (access key ID and secret access key)” and then click “Create New Access Key”.
- Copy or download the created key file for safekeeping, as you need this information to take the 3CX PBX Express.
Step 3 - Take the PBX Express
Now it’s time to take the PBX Express and have a fully working PBX in just 5 simple steps:
- Fill in the trial / free license key form here and confirm your email to receive the link to the PBX Express. Click on the link to take the PBX Express to setup and configure your hosted 3CX PBX in your Amazon account.
- Authenticate with your Amazon account in the same browser window.
- In step 5, specify Amazon Lightsail and enter the created user’s “Access Key ID” and the corresponding “Secret Access Key”.
- Specify the region (see here for info) and select the machine type - we recommend Micro for smaller installs up to 16 SC and scale up as required for bigger installations.
- Once the PBX Express finishes setting up your hosted 3CX PBX in your Amazon Account, you can go to Instances and verify your 3CX PBX machine.
Connecting via SSH (Putty)
When deploying the first instance per region a default SSH key is created by Amazon Lightsail. You can download this key file from “Account” > “Account” > “SSH keys”. The username under which the instances are created is <code>admin</code>. PBX Express does not support custom SSH keys.