Hosting 3CX PBX Phone System in Amazon Lightsail
On this topic
You can easily host 3CX in your own Amazon LightSail account. This allows you to manage all your servers from one Amazon account and stay in full control of your 3CX install. Amazon Lightsail is simplified version of Amazon AWS which makes it much easier to setup 3CX in Amazon. Pricing is better too, with an instance suitable for 3CX costing just $5 a month (Pricing October 2018).
Step 1 - Get your Amazon Lightsail account
If you don’t have an Amazon account yet, follow these steps:
- Navigate to https://aws.amazon.com/lightsail/
- Complete the registration process - you will need to enter your credit card details, even if you plan to use the free tier.
- Once you have registered, log on to the AWS console here. Your home screen should look like the screen above.
Step 2 - Get your API Access Keys
Now you need an API access key to allow 3CX PBX express the right to create an instances for you and provision it with 3CX. To create it
- Go to https://lightsail.aws.amazon.com
- In the right hand top corner, click on Account > Account.
- Click on Account > Account, Go to the Tab “Advanced” and then click on “Go to the IAM console”.
- Select “Continue to Security Credentials”
- Expand “Access keys (access key ID and secret access key)“ and then click “Create New Access Key”.
- The key will be created. Now copy the information or download the key file into a secure place. You will need this information when taking the 3CX PBX Express.
Step 3 - Take the PBX Express
Now it’s time to take the PBX express! You can take the PBX express here.
- Fill in the trial / free license key form. You will have to confirm your email. In the email, the link to the PBX Express will be sent. Click on the link to take the PBX Express to setup and configure your hosted 3CX PBX in your Amazon account
- Authenticate with your Amazon account in the same browser window.
- Specify Amazon Lightsail and enter the created user’s “Access Key ID” and the corresponding “Secret Access Key” created in step 2 above.
- Select the machine type. We recommend Micro for smaller installs up to 16 SC. Scale up as required for bigger installations.
- Your hosted 3CX PBX will now be setup in your Amazon Account. Once the PBX Express is finished you can go to Instances and see your 3CX PBX machine.
Connecting via SSH (Putty)
While deploying the first instance per region a default SSH key will be created by Amazon Lightsail. You can download this file from Account > Account-> SSH keys. The username under which the instances will be created is “admin”. Custom SSH keys are not supported by PBXexpress.