Hosting 3CX PBX Phone System in Microsoft Azure
On this topic
You can easily host 3CX in your own Microsoft Azure Cloud account. If you use Microsoft Azure already it allows you to manage all your servers from one Microsoft Azure account and leverage your Azure knowledge to stay in full control of your 3CX install. This guide explains how to get a free Azure account with $200 credit and use it to setup a VM with a 3CX hosted PBX using PBX Express. Note that although Microsoft Azure is easy to setup and you get free credit, it’s expensive to maintain.
Step 1 - Obtain an Azure Account
If you don’t already have an Azure account:
- Login to your Microsoft Account
- Go to azure.microsoft.com and follow the free offer link
- Sign up. You will need to verify by phone as well as specify a credit card for identification purposes.
- After this, you are taken to the Azure Portal Dashboard.
Step 2 - Get the Subscription ID of your Azure account
- Go to the Cost Management + Billing section
- The Subscription ID can be in one of two sections
- “My subscriptions” (If it is your user account)
- “Other subscriptions” (If you are an authorized user to manage a company azure account)
- Take note of your Subscription ID as this is required by PBX Express to locate your project.
Step 3 - Take the PBX Express
Now fill in the trial / free license key form. You will have to confirm your email. In the email, the link to the PBX Express will be sent. Click on the link to take the PBX Express to setup and configure your hosted 3CX PBX in your Azure account.
Step 4 - Select Azure and allow PBX Express to setup the machine
- Authenticate with your Azure account in the same browser window
- In step 5 of the PBX Express, select Azure as your Cloud Provider.
- You will be asked whether 3CX PBX Express is allowed access to setup the machine. Click Accept.
- Select your preferred location and finish the PBX Express. Your hosted 3CX PBX will now be setup in your Microsoft Azure Account!
- After PBX Express is finished you can go to Virtual Machines and see your 3CX PBX machine.
- SSH Information - During the creation of the instance the ssh password for the user pbxexpress will be set to the same password as the login to the 3CX management console. Change the SSH login password after the PBX has been created and use pbxexpress as user to login.